Chapter 2-The Letter

And that's when there was a firm nock on the door. I looked at my father, then my mother. Both had abruptly stopped crying and adorned faces of worry. My dad closed his eyes and let out an exasperated sigh. I am his eldest daughter and he knew that I was going to have to leave and it pained him to know that. Walked walked to the door with an air of resistance but opened it anyway.
Waiting patiently was a palace guard wearing a pressed blue coat covered in medallions. His clothes were a sharp contrast to our plain drab clothes that frayed at the edges. His face was like stone as my father took the letter from his open hand.
"Audrey Laiden?"
I stepped forward and made myself known.
"This letter is your invitation to work at the palace. You must fill it out truthfully and do not delay. It must be delivered back to the palace in the coming week. If it is not delivered, you and your family will suffer the consequences. Have I made my self clear?" The officer said this with the upmost self importance and it was clear he had been practicing this for months on every girl. Possibly even years.
"Yes officer... Sorry I didn't catch your name."
"Mainstride. It's German." Then he proceeded to do the most human thing he is capable of, the corner turned up into a cute little smirk. At least he wasn't a complete statue. "Good day Audrey. Laiden family."
And with that he jumped back on his horse and rode off down the path. I sat down at the table with my father and mother and we just stared at the letter. I couldn't help thinking about the way Officer Mainstride had described it. He had called it an "invitation". Was that just to make us feel better about was was going to happen to us. If so, I think that's just sick.
"You should open it Audrey, it's your future." My father said, pushing the letter across the table into my line of sight.
"I know" I remarked while taking the letter and slipping my finger under the palace seal. It was bright red, nothing I had ever seen before. We didn't have access to dyes. Everything here is brown.
Slowly I moved my fingers along the join until it was open. My mother thought it best that Mary and Joseph went to the bedroom. My father seemed to agree.
The letter was embossed with gold leaf patterns and in the top right corner the was the palace emblem; a lion resting on a bed of jewels wearing an extravagant crown and mastering the most magnificent roar. It was quite something.
Unfolding the letter I saw that, like I had hoped it wouldn't be, it was an application form with boxes for various pieces of information about myself. I was never really confident about talking about myself to my friends or family let aloe a stranger that I don't even know.
Nevertheless, I reluctantly began reading each question more carefully. The letter began with "Dear Audrey Laiden, as you know, when a girl of the lower bound reaches the age of 16, they obtain new duties and will now work at the palace. Inclosed you will find an application form with questions about yourself. Please answer all of them with the truth. Thank you and we await your help at the palace."
Already I was worried. I have always baked. It was my skill along with playing the violin. They were my only redeeming qualities. What if I wasn't a baker? Would I be able to play my music. The whole situation made me feel ill.
"What are your skills?" Oh god. There was a huge box underneath this. I only had two. Was I supposed to have more? I wrote in the neatest handwriting I could muster that my two skills were baking and the violin. The empty space was daunting so I ended up writing that I was good at holding a conversation which wasn't entirely true but I thought it might help.
"Have you ever stolen before?" Again, this question had a large box for explanation I guess but I just put the word "No". That wasn't true either.

Hi reader!
Thanks for reading chapter two of my book. If there are any ideas for the book and any suggestions for improvement. I would be really grateful.

Comment, rate and follow for the next part of the story! Thanks x

:)-katesstorybook