Chapter 3-Stealing

I was only 7. Times were really hard even before the twins. My parents are never really around now and they never were really around before. So I didn't get to know the difference between right and wrong from an early age.
Because I was alone in the house all day unless I went to play with my friends, I got really bored. And one day I was also particularly hungry.
I went to the cupboard but it was empty. I couldn't reach the high up ones so they were out of the question. Instead, I went outside of the house and looked at my surroundings. Nothing. Sometimes people would have tomato plants if you were really lucky but there was nothing there today.
However, in the distance I could hear the small hum of the market. I followed it like a moth to a flame.
After a while of walking, I arrived at the market much hungrier than I was in our house. It was March so the air was quite nippy and I didn't own a coat so I was cold.
I walked around a bit. Stalls with loaves of freshly baked bread, bowls of fruit and clothes. All far to expensive for my family. We had to get our provisions from the Trianta Ration Federation of the food service.
I could smell something so delicious that cause me to physically "hmmmm" with delight. I couldn't put my finger on the smell and I was pretty sure that it was one that I hadn't smelt before. And then I saw it. A hunched over man was standing behind the most magnificent stall piled high with chocolates and pastries. My small chapped mouth began to water and my eyes widened. The aroma of sweetness filled my nostrils and I was overwhelmed with pleasure.
I moved closer and the man gave me a sad smile. He knew I couldn't afford it. I knew I couldn't afford it. But I still wanted it. I wanted it more than anything and in that moment I did the only thing I thought I could do; I stole. When the man had looked away, I had grabbed a chocolate tart and bolted back to my house and he was non the wiser.
I knew it was wrong but I still did it. And the worst part was, I didn't feel bad. So I forgot about it. Like it was nothing. Until recently when I was at the market, I smelt that smell again. I saw that stall again. The same man gave me the same sad smile and it all came flooding back.
Yet despite knowing I had stolen, I still wrote "no" on the form. I knew it was against the law to steal so I didn't think telling the head of the law about my mishap. I knew I needed this job and I knew my family needed me to have it to. I wasn't about to jeopardise that. Not even if it meant lying to the people that controlled my life.

Hi reader!
I know this chapter is shorter than the other two but I didn't want to drag the flashback on to long so it got boring. Thanks for reading it though.

Rate, comment and follow for the next chapter of the story!

:)-katesstorybook