New friendship and new sanity

When she got up from her nap, it was almost four thirty in the evening. Even though she would never admit it, it was killing her not knowing what Sam had planned. The first night was okay but having the bar set up so high with Imiloa, she felt like she needed to know what was in store for her tonight. She picked up the phone to call Sam and ask him but decided against it at the last moment and disconnected. In between reading as much C.S.Lewis as possible and getting dressed, she had never felt two hours to be this long ever in her life before.

In his room, Sam couldn't wait for the clock to strike six thirty. He felt jittery like a little kid hoping his plans would be appreciated. He got dressed at six and was much disappointed to see that only ten minutes had passed. He sat down in front of the TV, turned it on and off seven times before it was time to knock on the door of the last night he'd spend here in Hawaii.

She had always liked punctual people, Derek being one of them. She was much grateful that her daughters had picked it up from their parents early in life. So when Sam knocked on her door at six thirty sharp, she was rather impressed. As she opened the door she hoped it'd be a good evening, a nice cherry on the top of her beautiful Hawaii cake.

"Ready?" Sam asked the moment the door opened.

"You bet! Will you please tell me now what you have got planned?"

"Nah! Come on... let's go for a walk!"

She closed the door behind her and they both walked towards the lift, once inside she asked, "A walk?"

"Yes! A walk! On the beach! We got about forty five minutes till sunset."

"A walk till sunset?"

He nodded.

"I am sorry but Sam, I'm going to have to ask this: why?"

"So we can talk. Get to know each other well, you know."

"I think we know each other pretty well, wouldn't you agree?"

"Okay...get to know each other better, happy?"

She smiled and took off her sandals when they reached the beach. The sand on the beach felt warm and familiar under her feet and it hit her anew that this time tomorrow she'd be home.

She set off on the beach in a silent stupor. And after a while Sam asked, "What are you thinking about?"

"Nothing special. I'm just dreading going home, I guess."

"You too, huh? Well, at least you don't have to worry what your new apartment would be like."

"Yeah, there's that! But I don't think it's going to be any less alien. It's almost another version of new now."

"Don't worry, you'll get used to it. It's gonna be okay in a few weeks."

She sighed. It hurt her to think she'd be alone from now on and she said, "How the hell am I supposed to survive the first few weeks, Sam?"

"It's going to be tough but you will manage. You, of all people, will. And if you ever need me, I'm just a phone or a Skype call away."

"That's true. But you can't lose your temper if I end up calling at odd times."

"No, no, I won't. Call me whenever you need me. I am going to be there. Always."

She looked at the young man beside her and smiled gratefully. They walked a bit in silence and settled down on the beach to look at one of the most beautiful sunsets they had ever seen. Everything vanished around them in the soft but bright orange light of a day concluding. Sam willed the sun to go down slowly because after that it was just one more night here. People all around them had recently come to Hawaii for a holiday season that was just beginning and soon after the sun set, they rushed off to tick off the places that were to be seen in Hawaii at night. Few lingered on the beach, wandering purposefully, eager to tell people they had had a quite vacation with a beautiful walk on the beach. It made Sam jealous to think of how much time they had and how they were almost wasting it. But he decided not to let it bother him and make the best of what he had. He got up from his perch on the sand, helped her to her feet and they continued walking in the increasing darkness.