Epilogue

Hey! This is the last part of The Vacation. Since I didn't want to ruin the ending, I am saying a few words before the chapter. 
I hope all of you really enjoyed this story and I am so happy you guys took the time to read it. This has been a really sweet experience.
Do let me know what you thought of the story and don't forget to vote, comment, share if you liked it. :)
Right before I upload it, I am so scared to put this up. I really hope you like it because this means so much to me. Let me know what you feel about this. 

I look at the clock and it's just a few more hours till I leave. The hot chocolate is yet to come, and Sam is in the bathroom. I wish he'd hurry because I can feel one of my moods setting in. It's going to be so difficult when I get back home and I'm alone again. Angel and Shania did say they would move in with me for a while but that's not the type of camaraderie I'm sure I want at the moment. I'd rather just stick with my memories of Derek, and some of Sam. It amazes me how much I enjoyed coming to Hawaii; I had never imagined I could ever be happy again when Derek died. And for this, there is only one person I could ever thank. I don't know where I'd be without Sam; what I'd do without him. And I don't even know how he manages to remind me of Derek every now and then.

In the beginning of this vacation, when I told myself that I was at peace with the lump in my throat that came at the mere thought of Derek, I was kidding myself. Even now I may still feel like breaking down whenever I think of Derek but I know it's going to be fine. I am going to hurt for some time like I did when I pushed Derek away at college but I am going to be fine; we are going to be fine. Because after everything He is, God isn't cruel.

The view outside my window is a thing of real beauty and I really wish Sam would hurry up. I shout to him outside the bathroom door to which he replies, "I think it was the Waterzooi...could have been the poke too!" And when we burst out laughing together, on either side of the door, it feels as good as it did on the first day. And I am so glad the novelty hasn't worn off.

I walk over to the window again and like I do every time I see something worthwhile, I again begin to think what it would have been like if Derek were here. I look at the time again and decide against thinking of it. As I am sitting down on the couch, I hear the door-bell ring. I think it's the hot chocolate. But I can't get up. My hands feel numb beside me when I try to use them for support to get up. My feet feel numb on the floor. Slowly I understand and I'm amazed it took me so long to figure it out.

I am dying.

Only it's not the weird, painful or gross way TV claims it to be. I forgive them, it's not like any of them has ever died before. It's almost surreal how quickly my reality changed...and am I scared? Nah! Because one of my favourite characters once said, "After all, to the well-organised mind, death is but the next great adventure."

I only wish I could have had the hot chocolate first.

Pssst... Check out a special chapter in Sam's POV after The Vacation comes to an end! You can find the story in my Works under the name "Sam's Epilogue"!!