FIRST CLASS

FIRST CLASS

After a minute in my seat, there are two girls entering the room and they are searching for seats they will be comfortable. They are 4 rows away from me. Both of them are wearing jeans and a plain shirt but they look neat and presentable on it. I am observing them while they are moving from chair to chair… I feel that I want to approach them and tell them to sit beside me but I don’t have the courage to but when they are two seats away from me, I tried to speak with them. I said “Uhmm... Excuse me. Looking for the best spot?” I said shyly but I manage to speak it out. I am playing with my fingers sign of nervousness. One of them the smaller one replied “yeah” and flashed a smile. I guided them then near my seat.

            We started to introduce ourselves to each other and in no time we are like best friends that we had known each other for years. The name of the girl who talked to me is Chrysene, she has a black curly hair, nose like those of a Jewish, heart shaped lips and big brown eyes, and she has a fair skin and an average height right for her age. She looked like a doll with her features. The other one named Eunice; she’s a couple of inches taller than Chrysene. She got a coffee brown eyes, rosy cheeks, long nose, red lips and has a white complexion. Her hair freely hanging below her shoulder blades makes her look like an angel. She’s a silent type but she’s somehow friendly.

            It’s almost half an hour of chatting when a tall woman went inside. She’s wearing a gray slacks paired with a dirty white color blouse. She must be in early 30’s. Behind her are students probably my classmates (since they entered in the same room) looking for vacant seats. When I turned my head, I was surprised for the room is so crowded that I haven’t noticed before; bunch of students here and there making their own businesses. The woman spoke and everyone silence. She asked a student to lead the prayer. Since it is the first day, we have no flag ceremony on the open field. The woman started to speak again; introduce herself, elaborates the rules and regulations inside the classroom and many more. She’s our adviser then. Everyone pays attention on what she was saying and no one dared to utter a word, it’s like you will be deaf of silence. And finally she remarked “I know this silence is just for today. I’ve been teaching for ten years and I already know the attitude of students. Surely tomorrow, this room will be filled with noise”, after she said that everyone in the room laughed for that surely will happen. And with that, we are dismissed. Every class subject has an hour and a half to be taught. So it means… It’s vacant time!

            Most of the students at one corner are talking about how their summer went while others are listening music on their iPods and a few are just silently listening on others chitchats; maybe they don’t know anyone too. The bell ring and it’s time for the second class. Those who are not on their proper seats are starting to move. We waited for someone to enter the open door. Some are already murmuring “Why our teacher took so long?” Another student replied “maybe we have no second class?” A guy agreed saying “yes you might be right” and he went outside, some of the boys probably his friends followed him.

            Each one loves first day of classes because there are no regular classes. “Riiiiiiiiiiiiiingggggggg!” Oh it’s already break time and students started to leave the room. Chrysene asked me “where are they going?” “Buy something to eat, I guess?” Eunice interrupted “aren’t we going too?” I turn my head and saw the empty room “I guess we have too”. When we are almost on the canteen entrance we were surprised of what we saw. It’s like all and sundry in the campus are in the canteen. How can we get in the mob of people? They already like sardine in can. “So what do you suggest?” Chrysene asked. “We better go back I guess?” Eunice proposed. “Yeah right” I and Chrysene agreed. It’s just a 15 minutes break anyway so afterwards students started to return in their respective classes. The class is over so it means another class again. A man entered the room, introduced himself and gives some instructions. So he will be our Algebra I teacher, I guess he’s approachable. “Since introduced myself it’s your turn now and so everyone knows each other. To start with, let’s begin with this young lady”. He was referring to the girl on the first row. I started to feel goose bumps running all over my body, my hands and feet are getting cold, and my heart is thumping ferociously against my chest. One by one started to introduce himself, a student after another. It’s getting nearer and nearer until the student on my right stood up. I keep comforting myself through blinking my eyes slowly. Chrysene on my left side noticed me “Hey Liz are you okay?” The tone of her voice seems worried. “I’m just nervous; I really have a fright when introducing myself to everybody.” She held my hand leaning against the table in her chair and whispered “Just stay calm. They won’t do a thing on you.” I then took a deep breath then I heard the teacher said “next one”. I managed to stand up and before speaking I glance at Chrysene and giving me a thump up as if she is saying ‘you can do it’. So I then started introducing myself.

            “Good morning to all, I am Elizabeth Damson; you can call me Liz for short. I came from New Society Village and my family migrated here months ago. I studied from a private school and I hope to be friends with all of you. Thank you.” Yes, I’m from a private school which my family can afford and now I am enrolled in a public school and will be living alone. The environment is so different. I hope I could adjust easily to a new lifestyle.

“Good job Liz”, Chrysene said when I’m seated.

“Thanks. Now it’s your turn” I said. When everyone already introduced themselves our teacher gave us some background about our subject and we are dismissed. The rest of the day went smoothly.