Lucky - Merlin One Shot

With the blue of his shirt and the red of his scarf, it’s as though the entire room turns to black and white around him. He is special, he is magical. The sharp blue of his eyes penetrates the crowd and makes her own eyes shine with her smile. She has known this boy for as long as she can remember, but now, as he stands among his knighted friends, he is a man. She can’t describe the change, but she knows it’s there. She can’t believe his luck – going from simple peasant boy, to standing in Camelot’s great hall, surrounded by the great and good, not quite being treated as equal, but as close to that as any normal man could be. She can feel her chest swell with pride as he makes Gwaine spit his drink with laughter. She can feel her cheeks flush as she realises she’s staring, but she doesn’t care. Merlin has to be the luckiest man she’s ever known – even if his life is filled with danger and dung heaps – he is lucky to have such friends. He is lucky to have such a smile. He is lucky to have the most piercing eyes anyone has ever known. His eyes catch hers from across the room, and his face lights up. He beckons her over, and she can feel a lump in her throat as she approaches. He’s lucky he can’t hear the beat of her heart now, or he would be deafened. He’s lucky he can’t feel the heat in her face, or he would be burned. He’s lucky he doesn’t see the smirk on Gwaine’s face as she gets nearer…

She reaches his outstretched arm, and is immediately pulled into a hug. His soft lips are placed on her temple, and he whispers, “Hello.”

She grins and looks into his eyes. He may be the luckiest man in Camelot, but she was the luckiest girl in the world, because he was all hers…