Chapter 5

Chapter 5

'Good morning, Tara.' Jeff smiled at me in an annoyingly perky way. I barely got any sleep the previous night and I woke up in an irritated mood. 'Table by the window again?'

'Sure.' He led me to it.

'The usual?' Jeff asked.

'Um, no actually can I have some melon and pancakes and maple syrup, please.'

'A healthy breakfast today? Why the change from your usual English fry-up that's swimming in fat?'

'Just want a change,' I told him, holding back a sigh. Jeff was too nice a bloke to start dumping all my fears and worries onto.

Within ten minutes, my breakfast had arrived and so did an unfamiliar face. I saw Jeff immediately brighten as he stopped to talk to the girl. She was about my height, with a blond bobbed haircut and was wearing dark blues jeans and a yellow long sleeved top. He briefly talked to her before leading her to my table.

'Tara, this is Saskia March, a new member,' he said giving me a wink. 'Saskia, this is Tara Young, also a new member, but she's been here a few days. Why don't I get you your breakfast and the two of you can have a talk?'

'Ta,' Saskia said in a harsh Liverpudlian accent. She casually sat down opposite me and gave me a small smile. 'So, what's ya tat?'

Still halfway through my melon, I held back a frown in puzzlement at her abruptness. It took Macie a long time being comfortable to talk to me about her tattoo and her past that went along with it. And now here was a new girl openly sharing, without any hesitation.

'Wings,' I said, not giving her any details.

'Oh, yeah? Same 'ere,' she said in a nonchalant way.

'I beg your pardon?' I asked, melon juice dribbling down my chin.

'Ay 'I've wings too, big 'uge white things.'

'White?' I asked in amazement.

'Yeah, like from a swan or some bird like that. What colour are yours?'

'Black,' I said.

'Whoa, Gothic,' she laughed.

'So, did you get here last night?'

'Yeah, some guy called 'enry came to me house and collected me. 'e left after.'

Putting my melon down on the plate, I wiped my chin. 'Did Henry say where he went?' I asked her and immediately wished I hadn't as a broad smile appeared on her face.

'Fancy him do ya?' she laughed. 'E's custy alright, but 'e didn't say anything t' me. 'E just dropped me off, I got me keys and told me to listen to the next instructions.'

'So, the tattoo, did they drug you and kidnap you?'

Saskia burst out laughing. 'Hell no. I already got me some tattoo's on me arse and shoulders. Tha' one on me back caned like 'ell, but it's worth it.'

I bit back a retort and smiled politely, continuing to eat my breakfast in silence. Instantly judging her I knew I didn't like this girl, but I didn't know why. I couldn't put my finger on it. Why was she so blasé about getting a tattoo that made you sprout wings? It scared me half to death. Even thinking about it made me feel queasy. Nope, there was definitely something wrong with her.