six

The days and nights dragged on with each tick of the clock. Adelaide couldn't leave her house on her own will, the only places she went was the formal events her parent's went and placed she had to go like business associate meetings that required her presence if they invited families over.

She limited herself to only eat  in her room when her parent's were not home and it became unbearable when she was given cold shoulders and obvious looks of pity from the staff.

Everyone in the house were given orders to not talk to her if not needed and only reply with a curt nod or a shake of the head.

Adelaide was suffocating in her own room, slowly losing her mind to the punishment her parents have given her. She had nothing to do and even her phone held no interest with no one to message.

She was desperate to get out.

The door creaked and light shined through Adelaide's room. "Ms. Adelaide ?" Ivory had said.

Adelaide ignored her, staring at her window with no emotion lingering on her face. Her eyes were locked onto the green grass down below and the men that stood guard with their backs straight, their eyes hooded from the world to see.

"Ms. Adelaide. I have brought you your lunch. Your parents have left a note for you." She pushed the small cart toward her young miss.

The white sealed envelope sat beside the plate full of salad and pesto pasta. The maid waited for her to acknowledge the food or her presence but neither came as Adelaide continued to stare at the window.

She heard the maid let out a deep sigh and she could feel her eyes staring at her from behind. Adelaide was tempted to ask her for answers and for advice but feared that talking to her might get her fired or worse.

"You must eat, the food will go cold," she said, gesturing to the plate that was placed right beside her bed.

"Ivory, do you forgive me?" Adelaide muttered quietly.

Her focus remained on the window as she uncrossed her arms, using one finger to trace patterns onto the glass.

She moved around the cart to stand beside her young miss. Adelaide's eyes flickered over to her maid's bun and noticed the black hair that was slowly turning a lighter shade of brown.

"I should be the one appologising, look at what they have done to you. At least they left the country for now."

Adelaide's head snapped to her maid, her eyes widening. "They left the country?"

"Yes, Ms. Adelaide. Their flight was early this morning, headed to Italy," Ivory informed her. Adelaide let out a sigh of relief and it eased the worry the maid was feeling.

"When will they come back?" Adelaide asked, her body anxious to go do something. Anything other than having to stay in this room.

"I'm not sure, they informed us to suit to your needs for the time being and that I shall be the one to watch over you." Ivory moved away from Adelaide and grabbed onto the white envelope that was placed on top of the cart. She walked back and handed it to her.

"From my parents?" Adelaide said, taking it from her maid and flipping it over. Her fingers traced over the cursive outline of her name.

Ivory nodded.

Hesitant, she opened the envelope. She was hoping it would not have instructions for her to meet with business associates. Carefully, she took out the folded paper and sniffed at the sweet scent of roses.

She knew the letter was written from her mother. She couldn't resist not having anything related to the red colored flower.

With a deep breath, Adelaide's eyes traveled to the ink on the white sheet, her teeth digging into her bottom lip.