Chapter 16

As Matt drove through town a few minutes later, he glanced over toward the lights reflecting on the lake. He braked when he saw Gretchen's car. Worried that something was wrong, he parked on the side of the street and walked toward where he saw her standing, staring out into the darkness of the night. As he got close, he realized she was crying.

She gasped when she noticed him, but recognition quickly replaced fear in her eyes. "Matt?"

He stepped close, and something shifted in his heart when she allowed it. He wiped the tears from her cheeks. "What's wrong?"

She shook her head. "It's nothing."

He gripped her chin lightly. "It's not nothing. Tell me."

A war within her showed in those lovely eyes, but he saw the moment she decided to tell him the truth. She took a few steps before sinking down onto a bench. He followed and took her hand in his.

"I was just letting the past get to me." She took a slow, deep breath. "The last couple of days have been great, and that's what scares me. When I start being really happy, that's when things usually go down the tubes." She paused, seeming to consider whether she wanted to go on. "I did come to Blue Falls for a new start—after my ex-boyfriend disappeared, taking every cent of my money with him. It was one day after I told him I'd saved up enough to go to a week-long, intensive writing workshop in Dallas, to see if maybe I could write and illustrate children's books. I should have known something was up when he scoffed and said that I shouldn't waste our money. He had a decent job in an office, but he evidently had a gambling problem I knew nothing about and a sizeable debt to go with it."

"I'm so sorry."

"He hadn't paid any of the bills he'd said he had, including the rent. So I had to move out quickly and find a way to pay all the back bills."

"Didn't your family help?"

He felt her stiffen, and he had a bad feeling about how she would answer.

"I have no idea who my father is. According to my mother, she doesn't either. Besides, she probably would have agreed with Adam, my ex. She thought my drawing was a waste of time, too."

Anger welled up in Matt that these people Gretchen had cared about could treat her so poorly. He pulled her into his arms and kissed the top of her head. "Neither one of them deserves you."

She looked at him as if no one had ever believed in her or shown her any compassion, not anyone who was close to her anyway. In the next moment, she captured his face between her hands and kissed him. He'd swear fire raced through his veins, leaving scorch marks in its wake. He pulled her closer and kissed her more deeply than he could ever remember kissing a woman. And it still wasn't enough.

"Will you come back to my room with me?" He held his breath until she nodded. He only barely restrained himself from sweeping her up into his arms and racing all the way back to the motel.