chapter iii • kiss my battery

I wake up the next morning to the sound of chunky boots squeaking against the floor. I rub my eyes and sit up on the leather seats of the restaurant, and panic for a second, wondering who it was in here. I calm when I realize it's just the guys.

"Oh, sorry Silver. G'morning," Ghoul smiles, giving me a small salute.

I shake my head, "Nah, I shoulda been up anyway. I've got stuff to do."

"What're we doin' today, boss?" Ghoul laughs, slinging an arm over my shoulder and leaning against my casually. 

I roll my eyes and shove him off, him stumbling for a second before regaining balance, "I'm on an adrenaline high right now? I could go alone if y'all aren't up for it, but I might drive up to Battery City and do a raid."

"I'm definitely in!" Ghoul exclaims excitedly, turning to Party and the others, "Are you lot up for it? Huh? Y'know you want to!"

"I have nothing against it," Party murmurs from the side of his mouth, a way he seems to talk regularly, "If you don't mind though, we need to stop by Dr. D's and tell 'em we found a place for a bit. D'you mind?" 

"Course not, we can go whenever, I don't give a shit," I shrug, rolling my shoulders back and popping a few bones from the uncomfortable position they were in all night, "We can take my Trans if y'all would like." 

"We have one of our own, thanks. It's what we're used to," Jet told me, tucking his ray gun in his boot, "Thanks for the offer."

I hummed, showing him I acknowledged what he said and taking my permanently foggy compact mirror and watching myself as I put in my nose ring, wincing as I missed and stabbed myself with it. 

Ghoul bounced over towards me, pointing at my nose ring, "You manage to still keep up with that? Even out here?"

"Oh, uh, yeah. My friend gave it to me back when," I waved my hand for emphasis, "This didn't exist. They're gone now, can't afford to have it close on me."

"Oh!" Ghoul frowned at the mention of my friend, but smiled once again, "Cool! I used to have a lip ring and a nose piercing but I didn't really feel like maintaining it once all this shit happened. Party said I'd get an infection so I listened to him. He'll probably tell you the same." 

"What is he, the designated den mother?" I laughed, sighing contently as the nose ring finally went in and I closed my mirror. 

Ghoul smiled, "Heaven knows we need it. Especially with me around," he turned to Party and shouted, "Ain't that right baby?" 

Party laughed as Kobra scowled and walked out the room, "You know it sugar!" 

"Oh, so you and -" I begin. 

Ghoul laughed, "Hell no. It's just teasing, y'know? Mad banter and shit." 

I nod in understanding, "Ah, I get it. Uh, Ghost and Killer used to do that all the time too, a couple of other members of the, uh, well, what was the team."  

Ghoul sucked in his lip, smile gone once again and nodded slowly, "Well, it's something that always lightens the mood in the shit we're in right now," he let out a dry laugh. 

I nod once again, turning to the other guys, Kobra now back in the room, and pointed to the door, "We ready?" 

The guys nodded and all of them filed out before me, with me closing the door behind everyone. 

I can already tell that as I earn these guys trust, I'll start caring for them more. I already know I'm not going to want to kill them in the end. 

But I need to get the people I love back. 

+

IT'S BEEN A YEAR JFC I'M SORRY