A Start

The screaming and shouting was driving me insane. My father was drunk again and arguing with my mum over something worthless again. I heard another plate smash and this time i cut deeper. By then my arm was covered in blood but it was the only way i could run away from the emotional wreck i was. The sting from the cuts helped me focus on something other than the constant yelling and swearing coming from the kitchen. After a while it all went silent, then as i listened carefully, i could hear my father's snores and my mother's sobs. He must have fallen asleep,not a surprise considering how drunk he was.
"Was it always going to be this way?" I asked myself as i traced the cut marks along my arm. I cried and cried. Crawled up in my bedroom corner i eventually feel asleep too.
"Beep beep beep beep."
Shit, my alarmed read 6.30. I was going to be so late for school this morning. I hurried into the bathroom and turned on the shower. The water was freezing but i didnt have the time to worry about that. I brushed my teeth and rushed to grab something to wear. Most of my clothes were hand-me downs from my elder sister Cassie who had left home two years ago to live with her boyfriend because she could no longer deal with our family situation. I hadn't heard from her since. Anyways, currently that wasn't my biggest problem. The hand-me downs were fine but finding something to wear that would cover the fresh scars from yesterday was going to be tough. I picked a plain black 3/4 sleeve blouse and my faded blue jeans. I quickly put them on with a pair of grey flats. I didnt like to apply loads of make-up so i just put on some mascara and tied my hair back into a messy bun. I added some bangles to make sure my arm was as covered as possible.I rushed downstairs to find my mum sipping her tea. Her eyes looked heavy and swollen probably from all the crying. She smiled at me as best as she could and offered me some breakfast.
"How could she act like none of that happened last night,how?"
I stormed out the front door and made my way to school. Damn this life! As i reached the gate, i paused. It was time, to put on that fake smile and pretend i lived the perfect fairytale. I started to proceed towards the main entrance,but little did i know that my whole life was about to change.