Chapter 10

Sherlock led the way up the staircase to major crimes as John trailed behind; his arm felt strange being free from his cast and the air brushing against his hairs felt unusually pleasant. He smiled as he pulled himself up the stairs with his hand on the bannister. "What do you think they want?"

"No idea," Sherlock admitted, "I haven't worked with Dimmock for a few years. I can't imagine it's anything new or Lestrade would have mentioned it."

"Hmm," John shrugged as Sherlock reached the top and opened the door, his body coming to a stop and forcing John to bump into him. "Sherlock, what are you-"

The picture from the magazine had been blown up and pinned to the wall which normally housed the information on crimes currently being investigated. The look of love between the two men was evident in the blown up version and Sherlock gulped loudly as Anderson lowered his head.

"Anderson?" Sherlock blinked.

The pair had called a truce after Sherlock's return. The detective understood that Anderson felt guilt towards his behaviour before the fall and had accepted his apology readily, and although the pair still occasionally clashed at crime scenes there was a begrudging respect and calm between them as they coincided with one another.

"It wasn't me," Anderson shook his head, "I tried to stop them."

Sherlock had attempted to block John's view but hadn't noticed the doctor stepping to the left to see what was causing Sherlock's stiffened posture. The doctor clenched his fists as he looked at Sherlock's pale face and the trembling of the detective's body as Sherlock obviously reacted badly to being mocked.

"Ah, there's the lovebirds!" Sally and Dimmock smiled as they left Lestrade's office. Sherlock's eyes swept across both officers before letting his head fall.

"What in the fuck?" John swore, stepping in front of Sherlock and pacing forward until he was between his friend and the people laughing at him.

"Oh relax, John." Donovan rolled her eyes. "It's only a joke."

"But why?" John asked pleadingly. "Why go through all the trouble?"

"He creates a vibe in the office. We just wanted to get back at him," Dimmock smirked as he shared a knowing look with Sally.

"I create a vibe in the office?" Sherlock spat, seemingly snapping out of his daze and taking two steps forward until he was side by side with John.

"Yeah. You make everyone uncomfortable," Dimmock sneered.

"Listen, the only vibe you need to worry about is the one your wife keeps hidden in her knicker drawer," Sherlock glared. "And sleeping with Sally? Isn't that a bit obvious? She's the Yard's bike."

Sally opened her mouth angrily and stepped to get into Sherlock's face, only to be stopped by John's hand on her collar. "I wouldn't."

"He doesn't love you. He couldn't. John's straight and why would he want to be with someone like you? You're just a freak," Sally spat angrily, staring at Sherlock and willing him to cause a scene.

John stepped forward; crowding into Sally's space he forced her to look at him and lifted an eyebrow watching as realisation dawned on her face. "No!"

"Yes," John nodded with a shrug. "And I don't need to be a master of deduction to recognise a jealous bitch when I see one. What happened? Did Sherlock turn down your advances? Is that why you're always so vile towards him?"

Sally spluttered angrily and looked between John and Sherlock. "I wouldn't dare! I've never even thought about it!"

"Christmas party, 2005," Sherlock mumbled causing John to laugh. "You attempted to pull me into the store cupboard where you offered to perform a sex act upon me. When I turned you down, you insisted it was a joke."