Chapter 2: Different

I opened my mouth wide and let out a long and drawn yawn. I was exhausted. As usual my hunch was right, and as soon as my eyelids closed last night I was thrown into another terrifying dream. 

This time, there was a young boy about the age of seven standing before me. I had full control of my body and senses as well which comforted me somewhat. As I viewed our surroundings; I was surprised to see that we were not enveloped in the the same darkness as usual. Instead the walls of an old, disused building closed in on us. It seemed to have been abandoned for sometime. There was evidence of a sudden exodus. Those who had left had not even taken the time to collect their things; Papers and trash lay scattered across the floor. There was a blue faded ball with a big red star in it's middle sitting in one of the corners of the room we were in. Stacks of dusty books with deteriorating covers lay scatter about randomly, seeming to be in no specific order. In one corner was an old,carved wooden chair which had obviously not been sat on by anyone in a long time other then the ragged one-eyed baby doll which sat in it now. Her remaining blue eye was faded and missing a large chunk and her blonde curls were dirty an disheveled.

All of the windows were coated in a thick layer of dust, making it impossible to see outside. The little bit of light that flooded through lit up the room enough to be able to distinguish the rickety outline of a rotted, old table that had been haphazardly shoved against the wall. Graffiti was layered on all of the walls saying things like "Welcome To Hell" and "He Will Find You But Don't Worry...It Will Only Hurt A Little!"

After circling around the room, my eyes landed back on the boy in front of me. I froze in shock. The once seemingly normal brown haired and blue eyed boy in front of me was now completely different. He was growing, rapidly. I watched as he shook and shuddered, growing inches in a mere few seconds. His beautiful Brown silky hair turned to a sickening singed black. His once blue and green stripped tank top was now a white hoodie. Red stains began to flower out on it. His khaki shorts were replaced by long, black dress pants. The beautiful smile that had adorned his face just moments ago was replaced by a grotesque, inhuman smile. However it wasn't just his mouth that was smiling. His whole face was smiling due to the two large gashes that were cut into his cheeks which extended his smile almost ear to ear. His perfect white teeth had a red tint to them now, I watched as crimson blood started flowing slowly out of the gashes in his cheeks. It leaked down his face stopping just before his chin. Out of nowhere blood bloomed, covering his hands which now held an old dull knife, also covered in blood.

I felt like while time was staying still for me, it was fast forwarding for him. While I stayed sixteen; he had aged years in a matter of minutes. He looked to be about thirteen. The most disturbing part of the whole process was what happened to his eyes. For some reason it made feelings of sadness and fear well up inside me. His once smiling and shimmering beautiful blue eyes had morphed into a set of dark, hard black orbs. I could see his confused emotions swirling inside them, emotions of sadness, anger, hatred. But there was one emotion that I didn't know. It was an emotion I had never felt before. Maybe it was this element which had caused my fear. wet, slick tears slid down his cheeks yet he was laughing hard and cold; a twinge of his instability was carried with his laugh. He grabbed his head, his fingers got tangled in his hair as he did so and doubled over a little. It was as if he was waging war inside of his own mind.

Once again he began to age. This time he aged to what seemed to be about the same age as me. His hair was longer than before and covered his face which was less round and more defined. For a moment everything was still. I stared intently at him and barely noticed when a breeze started to pick up which was odd considering that we were in a room inside a building. I couldn't see his eyes. His long black hair obscured the upper half of his face making it impossible to grasp what was going on in his head. I kept my gaze locked on him relentlessly the whole time.