Part one-chapter 4

Deirdre and Jeremiah sat at the kitchen table the next morning, Deirdre's hair wet from her early morning shower. She didn't need sleep- angels normally didn't sleep. She and Jeremiah were pouring over old journals and books from the White family library, filled with religious facts and illustrations. Deirdre was impressed with Jeremiah's ability to quote scripture.
     "This here.... The Angel Gabriel. Do you know him?" Deirdre looked taken aback. She never planned for anyone to know she was an Angel. How did he find out. Jeremiah saw her look of confusion. "Not that your a demon or anything, but, being a mortal, you must be very trusted among the supernatural. Do you know him?" Deirdre breathed. "Yes," she said. "I know him. You would love him, Jeremiah, he's wonderful." Jeremiah smiled, his glasses crooked on the bridge of his nose. He knelt back to the book. Deirdre studied the middle aged man with interest. He was different... He really was a wonderful man, and he believed in all of this without a moments hesitation. He was trustworthy, she could tell.
      A yawn sounded behind her. She looked back and met eyes with Alastor, his goofy grin annoying her just a little. Footsteps sounded on the wooden stairs. Simon came down, dressed in a pair of clean jeans and a Fall Out Boy tee. And-
Alastor gasped loudly, fell from his chair, and landed on his knees, clutching his chest. "SIMON. OH. MY. CHEESE BALLS." Deirdre smiled broadly. Instead of Simon's scraggly long hair free underneath his beanie, he had shed his hat and had his caramel brown hair into a ponytail. Alastor looked like he was going into cardiac arrest. He knelt on the ground, a totally freaked out expression on his face. He looked at Simon with utter (yet mockery) hurt. "SIMON EDWARD AUGUSTA. I GAVE YOU THAT BEANIE. I LOVED YOUR LONG, FLOWING HAIR AND THIS. THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY ME?!?!?" He was obviously trying to hold back his laughter. Simon tooled his eyes, fell on his knees, and played along.
     "I AM SORRY, O FRIEND, SO SORRY. HOW CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME?!" Alastor smiled wickedly.
     "WITH WAAAAAAAAR!" In the next few milliseconds, both boys were rolling around on the floor, laighing their poor male heads off and thwacking their fists at each other. Jeremiah roared with laughter beside her, his face bright and young. Deirdre caught Nora's eye, who was rolling her eyes, but a smile played on her lips. Deirdre felt herself laughing along. It was in that moment that she realized something.... These people had shown her more love in a few hours than anyone had shown her in her previous life in the 1600s. This is what it is like to be mortal, she thought. It's not so bad.

That was when the doorbell rang.