Holiday

Almost flying up the stairs, Elizabeth carried in a basket some fresh vegetables, bread and a fish for the trio. Hoping that Vanessa was still in the apartment and was willing to stay for the night so Elizabeth could help her, then all would be worked out. Elizabeth ran into the apartment and immediately saw Vanessa brewing a pot of boiling water. Elizabeth calmed down and in her happiness at seeing someone other than a Frankenstein, she swept Vanessa up in a hug. Vanessa didn't seem too impressed.

"Oh, I'm sorry. In the heat of the moment I became overjoyed that there was someone else here to talk to. It gets tiring watching Victor in pain but when I leave, I can't stand it." After laying down the fresh food and inquiring about the boiling pot of water, Elizabeth goes up to see Victor, silently awake.

"Victor, we have fish for dinner." Victor looks up at his cousin, smiling ever so slightly. The light finds it's way to his face and streaks his pale cheeks with an eerie glow. "Miss Ives looks unwell. Would you recommend a treatment or should I?" Vanessa peeps her head in through the door.

"I don't think the doctor is well enough to do so. But in all honesty, I'm fine. All I need is a little sunshine and fresh air." Vanessa sets down tea and warm water with a towel for dabbing onto Victor's head. "Here." Vanessa hands the damp towel to Elizabeth, suggesting that she look after her cousin. "So, now I might get some answers. Who actually are you to the doctor?" Vanessa questions Elizabeth. Alarmed, Victor speaks up before Elizabeth states they are cousins.

"Oh! I am so sorry Elizabeth didn't mention that. She has a way of putting other people first. She is my adopted sister." Elizabeth looked puzzled almost at Victor. But then she, very intelligent as she is, realised the monster cousin Lily, knew Vanessa.

"My name is Elizabeth Lavenza miss." Elizabeth sweetly says.

The dinner was bland as usual. Elizabeth never needed to cook, she just cut food up for the maids to cook. Now, she tries her best but Victor just complains jokingly. Vanessa can't understand this relationship. It is almost like lovers being centuries apart and the younger one has dragged the elder into her world of new and confusing way of being in love. Fortunately for her, she was only staying one night. One night until she had to go home and unintentionally invited the pair to stay until Victor was fully well again.

...

It was a horrible morning. There was fog drifting along the cobble streets, a haze of water droplets suspended in the air, catching onto the hair of passers by causing them to appear to have a thin layer of snow bestowed upon their heads. A horse and carriage pulled up outside a block of apartments and what would have appeared to anyone else, a family, walked out from the shadows lugging cases full of necessities onto the carriage. This family were going back to the mansion where so many catastrophic events had occurred only weeks before. The pebbly road caused the quiet journey to increase the tension upon the three as the only sounds they acknowledged were the neighs of disobey from the horses and their 'clacks' against the ground. Eventually, they pulled up to the house and it was then that Elizabeth could marvel over how stunning the people London could be. The grand hallway was too spacious by Elizabeth's reckoning. In her house, the hallway was half this size for all they needed the corridor for was to get to other rooms. This hallway looked more like it was for having a quick chat with visitors. However, she noticed the gloomy lounge area holding the prized possessions of Sir Malcolm and his desk. This dull house was awfully lonely with no inhabitants. To Elizabeth, Vanessa was right to invite them over. She would have been driven into madness otherwise.

Victor stumbled up the stairs, holding onto the banister with such force that he might was well have just broken it for it seemed it would. Vanessa aided him into the room which had been Ethan's for a while, leaving Elizabeth to take a look around the house. Vanessa hadn't expected the girl to give up being a child and wander in amazement. No, Vanessa hadn't expected the child to bring all the luggage up the stairs by herself. 4 cases of clothing and belongings and another smaller case with Victor's 'medicine'.

"Here, let me help you." Vanessa casually said whilst strolling towards the girl to take some of the weight off of her. Elizabeth was capable but she couldn't say no to someone who was being so kind as to let them in and help look after her beloved Victor.

"Thank you." Elizabeth and Vanessa take the cases up to the room where Victor has slumped on the bed. "Victor! You need to wash! You can't just lie on the bed, this isn't our house!" Elizabeth exclaimed. That caused Victor and Vanessa to look at the child before them who looked almost frantic. Victor in confusion and Vanessa in bewilderment at the rash outburst.

"Our house. You've never phrased it like that before." Victor says. When they lived in the same house, Elizabeth would call the Frankenstein family home 'the house'. But now, things have changed.

"Well, this is not our house. I haven't had much time to tell you, I'd been worrying about your health but when your father died, he left the house under our names." Elizabeth begins to pack away the clothing, whether it were dress or shirt, they all just went into the cupboards haphazardly.

"We own a house? Together?" Victor was dumbfound.

"Yes." Simply Elizabeth replied. Vanessa stood, watching the pair. It confused her, how little they spoke of current issues in their life. But she assumed it was the child's good nature that meant Elizabeth's priorities were restoring Victor before she delved into what would break his heart. Victor saw that Vanessa was awkwardly standing by the door frame.

"Well, I suppose I should clean then. Surprisingly I feel better after such a bumpy journey. One would expect to feel sick." Vanessa noticed how sociable her doctor was now. He wasn't as silent as he had been. This girl brought out the best in him. And everyone could see it.

"Fresh air Victor, you always said sunshine and fresh air were the trick to ease off symptoms." Elizabeth smiled gently as she went to prepare a bath for Victor. He lay there, watching her recede before Vanessa came to sit by him.

"Why did you seem scared when she said you share a house?" Vanessa picks up on emotions. Victor only shakes his head.

"The letter." He whispers. Vanessa take the letter Victor produces out of his inner coat pocket and reads it to herself.

My dear child Victor,

It has come to my attention that you and Elizabeth get on very well. Your social abilities are unleashed when you talk to her and she is given the opportunity to be a child again when she is with you. I had hoped that Elizabeth would either marry William or another man of equal status to us however, I see now that you two deserve each other and even if there are ten years between your ages, it is my wish that you marry her upon my death. That is my will Victor and I hope you can live up to it, especially as my last request.

Please keep sweet Elizabeth safe, she is only a young child at heart and always will be I hope to think. You are good to her Victor, good in a way that I don't believe anyone else can be.

Your loving father, Alphonse Frankenstein

Vanessa looks up at the tearful doctor next to her.

"What about your cousin Lily?" It's this statement that makes Victor realise he was in love with Elizabeth all along. He wanted her and missed her so created something resembling the gold haired beauty. He turns to look into Vanessa's dark eyes, so dark compared to the pool of light that is Elizabeth's blue eyes.

"She's never coming back. And besides, I used to call Elizabeth Lily before I left for London. Therefore I can replace cousin Lily with sister Lily." It hurts him even more to think that he is to marry his sister. "In fact, we used to call one another cousin." Victor isn't so sure that telling all this to Vanessa is a good idea. She could become confused and curious.

"Victor!" Elizabeth shouts up the stairs as she swiftly hops up them. "Your bath is ready." Hastily, Victor secures the letter into his pocket and whips off the coat, hoping that Elizabeth won't see the brown envelope. Exchanging a smile, Victor goes downstairs with fresh bed clothes and Vanessa watches him go with sympathy.

"Is everything all right miss?" Enquires the young girl who now, looks strikingly beautiful to Vanessa.

"Yes. I believe you would like to stay in here to watch him at night, make sure he is looked after?" It's more a question than a statement.

"Oh, you're very considerate. Thank you Miss Ives, I will stay here with him." And with that, Vanessa leaves the girl to draw her protection spells into the ground. Fortunately, these spells never leave marks in the ground. What would Vanessa think if she saw them?