Chapter 6

"Mommy?" I spoke reassuring the question.

Jaylon face changed as I said mom and seemed excited about it.

"Hey baby!" I heard her smiling through the phone.

"What's wrong?"

Her voice sounded as if she were crying and it's been since I was four since I've heard her voice. It wasn't normal for her to call me.

"I know I haven't been around and I'll explain later but I need you right now." She cried.

"Ma, tell me."

"I'm hiding in a trash can for God's sake. I'm on Queens Street, can you come get me?" She spoke.

I didn't know what was happening but I was scared straight. Even though Jaylin & I weren't on speaking terms, he wanted to help her just as much as I did.

Driving in the direction of the street my mom gave me, I shed a tear.

"C'on Maya, stop cryin." He said driving while rubbing my thigh.

Thought I told him not to touch me.

"Everything is so fucked up, but mostly embarrassing." I scoffed.

"Ain't nun to be shamed of." She said. "Call her."

I called her and she answered.

"We're driving down the street, where are you?" I asked.

"Are y'all in this black truck?"

"Yeah."

"I'm approaching it, you see me?" She asked.

Looking out the windshield, I seen her waving her arms wildly.

"Right there Jay." I pointed.

Opening the door, mom got in the back. It was so dark I couldn't see anything.

"Ma we're going to, uh-"

"Our house." Jaylon interuppted.

The whole ride home was silent. I didn't know what to say or ask because I'd feel lost and be confused.

And what the fuck Jaylon mean out house? This is his house. It ain't no need to beat around the bush and lie. Fucking bitches all on the counter but say our house. Just wait til we get back talking.

We finally made it back to the house. Jay unlocked the front door and went to grab ma some cover.

She looked as if she'd ran for her life or was in danger. She had a couple marks and bruises. Her light skin was red and raspberry looking.

"Ma can you tell me what's wrong or what happened?" I asked.

"Baby I'm sorry that I've done this and haven't spoken with you your whole childhood. But I do want you to know that it wasn't my fault, I had to."

Knowing this didn't answer my previous question, I was always wondering why they gave me up at the age of four.

"But why?" I asked.

Jaylon made her coffee and gave her a throw.

"You know I don't mind you knowing this since you're with my daughter, what's your name again?" She spoke, sipping coffee talking to Jaylon.

"Ah nah. I want you two to get to know each other first. I'm Jaylon though, some call me Jay. It don't matter."

She nodded and smiled.

Jay walked down the hall and I heard the shower run, so I guess he's about to shower.

"Your dad is out on business in Mexico so of course I can't contact him. But, I was asleep in the house and I woke up to loud noises from the living room. I got up to peek through my cracked door and it had to be at least seven or eight guys in the living room. I left my room's window and one of em saw me. He shot at me, but it only scrapped my arm." She lifted her shirt's sleeve and it was a pretty deep cut.