5) Spiders and Snakes

Insects and humidity weren't things that had bothered me until this point. The leather from my clothing pulls and sticks in places it's never bothered me, and my hair sticks to my forehead and neck in the most annoying way. Tifa won't stop complaining to Cloud about what the humidity is doing to her own hair, but the leader pays her no mind. Instead, he continually exchanges glances with Aeris, the gentle Ancient looking around us with her green eyes wide.

"We've got to be getting close," she murmurs, looking at Cloud. He nods and turns forward again.

"I hope so," Cid grumbles, stomping in vegetation at my side. Barret mutters angrily and Yuffie groans.

"Gawd, I could just die! It's so hawt!"

"Shut up, Brat," Cid snaps. "It's notnlike yer wearin' clothes anyway."

"I am too wearing clothes, you old fart!"

"I ain't old! I'm only thirty two!"

"That's ancient."

"Hey!" Violet, Cid, and Barret exclaim at the same time. I look over at the small ninja with a raised eyebrow.

"Then perhaps I shall remind you of your words when you are as old as Cid."

"Hmph!" She sticks her tongue out at me and stomps past to walk beside Cloud.

"Guys! Wait for me!" Cait calls from somewhere in the back if our group. No one pays any attention. I'm genuinely surprised that no one suspected there could be a traitor in a group this large.

You should kill him, just to get him off your backs.

He's a robot. What would be the point?

"The Temple!" Aeris says suddenly. "It's here!" Then she goes running ahead, Cloud running after her. The others follow, Violet shrugging at me before turning forward to hurry after them. She's only jogging, but somehow she catches up in moments. Was that the work of Hojo too? I walk, not bothering to rush our time here. I'd rather not get more sweat in this outfit.

By the time I get there, Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris are at the top of the stairs and rushing in. There's an aura about this place, a heavy feeling that burdens me the second I step onto the bridge. It's peaceful, quiet, calm. But there's dread there too. I hate it. Violet shrugs and follows them up with the group. With a sigh, I follow her lead. I'm probably the only one willing to help her out if she gets into trouble like she always does. When I arrive, Aeris is getting pulled onto a platform by Cloud. In the corner, someone is propped up on the wall, bleeding out. A Turk? I scowl and turn back to see Violet reaching toward the sinking members of our group. I catch her upper arm and pull back, keeping her from following. She looks back at me, frowning.

"Guess dat means I'm in charge," Barret says proudly. "An' I say we get outta here, cuz this place gives me the creeps!"

"I agree," Yuffie squeaks, running away with a glowing orb in her hand. Cid chuckles and he and Barret leave. Violet pulls her arm out of my unconscious hold and looks up at me for a second. Then I turn on my heel and leave the Temple, trying to get far away from this heavy aura. Barret's waiting at the base of the stairs, thick arms crossed.

"Yo Vamps, where's the witch?" I frown at him, refusing to answer, and instead walk toward Nanaki. The fire cat looks up at me with a gentle smile.

"This place is strange, isn't it?"

"What took ya so long, Witch?" Barret yells up at Violet as she begins her descent. "Nevermind, Yuffie found a good spot for campin' until Cloud gets his spiky butt outta there."