Becoming

I am okay. I feel like I'm dreaming, but being able to dream means I'm at least still alive.

The room I woke up in is made out of glass windows and from up here I can see the full city. I see the small u decorated and barren square miles down on the other side of the city. Down in the last square mile there is nearly nothing. There are rumors that in the last square mile people are starved. Down there is where the ladder is. You can see the faint outline of the door near the very top that people are forced through. Next to that square mile is the second to last. Land then the square miles snake up to where I am in square mile number one. Where I am safe. It's the furthest place away from that ladder.

"Danielle, Welcome home. This is Joseph West." The voice played over the whole room. "Now, I'm excited for you to be able to explore this wonderful mile. However, your need here is very important so we must start today. Please find me by five."

I sit, still on the edge of my bed, like I have been since I woke up. I suppose I have to settle in here. My cloths are all thrown into bushels in my bag. One by one I take them out and bring them to the closet in my room. I tell it to open and it does. Then I set the few cloths I own inside and wait until the machine asks if I would like to wash them.

"Yes?"

"Cloths are now washing. For more clothing options please open the catalog."

"Open catalog?"

"Hello." It responds and opens up a virtual shop on the closet doors. "Welcome to the catalog for Square Mile One."

I've always expected this square mile to be luxurious. But I'm shocked to the extent. While people are striped of everything they own, here, I'm being provided choices. As tears dampen my eyes I walk myself to the bathroom.

"My name is Dani. I'm number 50 and I'm a meteorologist. Today I'll be working for you and that's all I'll have to do. I just have to show up and do what I've been living to do. I am okay."

I'm not excited to be here the way I thought I would. Somehow the most surreal part isn't the new sense of security like I thought it would be, but instead it's the absence of all those scared kids and all those tear stained strangers. The distance is showing me the reality of the world.

It's still gonna be okay for me though. I'm sure I'll get over the whole unfairness of this square mile and be okay. Meanwhile I keep studying like I would if I was back with Vanille and before I know it I have to get ready.

"Open catalog"

As scared as I am. I'm prepared to do this job professionally. I've seen the other people in the high square miles before. All of them have standards on appearance and I plan to meet them. I pick out a white blouse with white pants and try to pull my hair back slick to a ponytail. After a few failed attempts I ask the cabinet near my mirror to open and find different products inside. I take one put it in my hair. Now I'm one of them.

The next step is to meet Joseph. Out the door I head and I walk down the hall and I fit right in.