Chapter 04

REMEMBER MORE

CHAPTER 04

"Jonas! What have you done?!" John wheeled himself over to the two of them.

Jonas was brushing himself off as he rose to his feet. Yan had him by the arm and was helping him up.

John reached out to touch his son. "Jonas…"

Jonas turned to frown at his father. "What's this stuff supposed to do anyway?" He reached up absently to touch his head.

With Yan's help, John guided his son over to the couch and made him sit down.

John rolled himself in close. "How do you feel? Do you feel all right?"

"Yeah. Just a little jet-lagged, I suppose. I did just get in from China." He smiled at the other two. "Will you guys just relax? I'm sure I'm going to be just fine." He reached up for his collar and worked it loose. "It is getting a little warm in here though, isn't it?"

"Yan, get the…"

She was way ahead of him. Retrieving a thermometer from one of the drawers in the mini-pharmacy, she brought it back and applied it to Jonas' ear.

"Hey, that tickles…" Jonas giggled and tried moving away. Yan held him, though.

John looked up into Yan's eyes.

Yan frowned back. "He's burning up." She showed John the thermometer.

John took one look at the instrument and then swung his gaze back on Jonas. "Why, son?! Why did you do that? Of all the…"

"Why do I do anything?" Jonas shrugged his shoulders. "To piss you off, I guess…"

Jonas' eyes fluttered.

They flitted close and his head tilted back.

John seized him by the arms. "Jonas!"

When Jonas' eyes opened again, there was nothing but white. His head and shoulders began to shudder and then it was his whole body. White spittle appeared at the side of his mouth.

"Jonas!" John turned to Yan for help. Together, they eased Jonas back so he could lie down on the couch.

"Jonas! Jonas!" John had to hold down Jonas' arms so he wouldn't hurt himself as he shook.

"Sir…!" Yan squeezed her way in so she was crouching next to Jonas' head. She checked him over. His pulse was racing. But he had stopped breathing. "He's seizing!"

Yan jumped up. She flew over to the pharmacy and grabbed a syringe and a bottle of tranquilizer. She whipped back to Jonas' side and administered the medicine into his arm, right into his vein.

In less than twenty seconds, Jonas' continuous seizing stopped. His body had gone limp now and only jerked a little at times. At least he was breathing again. Yan and John turned to each other and sighed.

Yan stood up. Wiping her brow, she turned and sprinted off for the door.

John called out after her. "Yan!"

Yan spun around. "Don't worry, sir, I'll be back! I'm going to call the pilot right now and then I'll come back and help him out to the helipad…"

"No! We can't…"

"But, sir!"

"No, Yan! Stop!" John shook his head. "It's not going to help. You don't know what you're dealing with…"

Yan stayed put where she was. She pointed in the direction of the door. "Sir…?"

He waved her in. "Please, Yan. Just…just trust me on this. There's nothing the doctors or the hospital can do. We may as well just stay here…"