Chapter 2

[Two Months Later]

Watching Harry bring his tail up to his mouth for the hundredth time in the past five minutes, I couldn't help but softly laugh at him. His face scrunches up in confusion and disgust once again when the texture of his tail just wasn't that pleasant. But, that's something he has to learn for himself since I apparently can't teach him that.

The puppy hybrid laid on the floor on his back, not going anywhere as I stand up from the couch and warm up the formula for both him and Niall. His little feet kick in random bursts when I leave his field of sight, and he begins to whimper, but I call from the kitchen, letting him know that I haven't disappeared for good.

Now that he's four months old, I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night every two hours to feed both of them. Harry sleeps throughout the entire night, and it was honestly a relief. Now it was just Niall to care for. I couldn't wait for Niall to reach four months old. I can already hear the whole night's sleep calling my name. Makes me drowsy just thinking about it.

But I'm snapped from my sleepy daze when I hear Niall giving a cry from my bedroom. He must have woken up from his nap to eat and then undergo some asthma treatment. I check my watch. Right on time. The microwave beeps, and I swirl the formula in the bottle before twisting the nozzle on top and testing the warmth on my wrist.

Acceptable. Good. I walk through the living room again, making sure Harry was still fine on his back before entering my room with soft footsteps. Picking up the little machine and face mask from my dresser, I set it down on the bed as I slide into it, picking Niall up with a groan and readying him for feeding. Snuffling and searching for his food by turning his head from side to side, I offer the nipple of the bottle to his lips, and it's eating from there. I sigh deeply.

It still occasionally upsets me that Niall contracted asthma from the time he spent in the dumpster before I found him. He certainly doesn't enjoy having to undergo the treatment because he's too young to understand that it's not food. So when the mask touches his face, he tries to eat off of it, and it frustrates him and makes him cry. Which makes me want to cry since his wailing is so pitiful.

After about half an hour of feeding and burping Niall and checking up on Harry before feeding him as well, I gave Niall his asthma treatment before standing up from my bed and bringing Niall into the living room to have some family time with Harry and me. Sitting down next to Harry on his back, thankfully right where I left him, I change Niall's position within my arms to where he could see more than just my face. A whine escapes the fox-eared baby, and I knew it was just out of curiosity towards his older brother Harry. Canine communication mixed in with baby gibberish. Double adorable.

Harry's ears immediately point towards Niall, and his furry little brown tail thumps beside him on the floor. I'm so glad that they hit it off together as siblings, otherwise this family was destined to become dysfunctional. It makes me a happy Momma.

Niall's eyes go wide when he hears the tail wagging on the floor, and his hands clench a little bit as his body stretches within my hold. The beginnings of the want for freedom. How it will hurt my heart for a second time, but I also encourage and love it at the same time.

~*~

After maybe an hour or so, both Harry and Niall start to get fussy, which was good because I wanted them to have fairly related sleeping patterns. Easier for all involved.

"Ooo, it's time for your nap, Misters," I turn to pick up Niall, Holding him close to my chest and getting up by swinging my weight from one direction to the other. I get up with a soft groan, walking into my bedroom and putting the little boy down for the afternoon.