chapter 2

The squeaky scratches of the table legs echoed after the annoying 'bang' of the moving chairs as they thumped onto the school ground. Feet shuffled around as bags hit the chairs. Mrs Reayn relentlessly shouting around orders for the new seating arrangement, the name 'levi' appearing many times in her exasperated pleas. 'Levi,move!' 'Levi,do you understand english?!' 'Levi,for god's sake'. Gillian threw her pouting face towards lael. Jokingly, lael replied with a more exaggerated face. "Mrs Reayn you should be paying more attention to the two girls making themselves farcial in public rather than paying good care to me. I'm perfectly fine myself." Lael and gillian whirled around at the same time to see a tall, lanky boy addressing Mrs reayn. The whole class snickered and stared at gillian and lael. "What's farcial?" Gillian whispered with clenched teeth towards lael. Lael glared at the boy with the fair brown hair. It was dishevelled and slightly curled, a lighter shade than lael's. "It means foolish." She replied. Lael cleared her throat and took two steps towards the boy. He spun around as if sensing her presence, or having heard her three inch heels clicking, and chuckled, bracing his slim body weight onto his arms propped against the desk behind him. "Back for more insults?" He inquired, slipping a long fingered hand into his jeans pocket. Mimicing the boy, lael placed both hands into her skinny jeans' pockets, straightening her back. "I would love to insult you but human nature beat me to it." Lael said. The class quietened, only gillian stiffling a grin as everyone stopped changing seats to watch the commotion. "Oh, don't worry. I knew you were slow from the start. Obviously i didn't expect you to beat nature." He quickly replied. At that, his 'squad', a bunch of tightly abbed sports' captains, snickered loudly. "Funny, you just admitted that nature did do you insults. And, although nature might have had the first round of insults', that doesn't mean i can miss my round." He crossed his arms defensively, apparently surprised some girl would retort. Before the boy could reply, lael turned away and faced gillian. "And you wonder why i like you," gillian said as she slung her arm over lael's shoulder. "Since the main objective of new table mates is to exchange more friends, and Ms Aorta and Mr _____ are clearly not friends but both with witty tongues, why don't you two take the seats in the front over here." Mrs reayn gestured to the seats closest to her desk, but nearly two meters away, and smiled sickly sweetly at the boy. Gillian saw her friend's face turn from a flushed red to a pale white. The only red on lael's face coming from the pressure lael had on her lips by biting them.  "Mrs reayn, i swear i will do no harm sitting at the back. Please." The boy 'pleaded'. It was hard to guess what he felt. Lael saw a mirror image of her expression on his face, though. "Great," lael murmured to gillian. "Still missing school?" Gillian teased. "Try missing human beings" lael groaned but made no objections. She swept her leather satchel up her neck and dropped it onto the table on the right. As the boy sauntered over after making no progress at changing mrs reayn's mind, lael quickly seperated their desks, creating a clear gap between them. "All right class, settle down" mrs reayn shouted. Lael shot one last death glare at the boy and sat down, hoping to be able to ignore him for all it took.