3) Double Takes Never Lie

It had been a full week since the first day of grade 10 for Isaiah, Jeff, Sam and I. We were all pretty sunk into our daily routines, hell, we'd even claimed a table in the lunch room for ourselves. Sure, it took a hell of a lot of convincing for Sam to sit at the same table as Jeff, but once I convinced Jeff to stop bad-mouthing her (through bribery of Mars bars), things actually seemed okay.

Also, our group had gotten larger. Sam had two best friends, Britney and Vanessa. Britney had long, dark redish-brown hair. She was a lot like Jeff, actually. She was loud and obnoxious, but it made her extremely hilarious and fun to be around. She was also pretty lazy though, which can be frustrating when I call her sometimes and ask her to flip to channel 9 because Jeff is on the news (yet again) for tagging the city bridge, and she said no because, and I quote "she can't reach the remote".

Vanessa seemed to be the exact opposite. She was fun and bubbly and really preppy. She had long, straight blonde hair and often wore a lot of pink. Seriously, that girl was up for anything. I could call her at 9 in the morning and ask her to come on a two hour hike up a mountain with me and she'd do it. However, she still seemed to be a buzz-kill whenever a Britney-like event occurred.

The good news about this was that Britney and Vanessa were both in my Socials class. The bad news about it was they were BOTH in my Socials class. Putting Britney and Vanessa together was like putting a tank and a catapult together, like some sort of tank-a-pult.

~~~

Vanessa, Britney, Jeff, Isaiah and I all sat at our usual lunch table, near the back of the cafeteria and next to a window. Sam was the type of person to over-book her schedule, and spent every lunch at some sort of club meeting, so she was never there.

"Kay, dude, you don't understand. It's gonna be a kick-ass party and I wanna go!" Britney pleaded to Vanessa. I called them by their nicknames, Brit and Van.

"Omigod NO! Last time you went to a 'kick-ass party', you set off a Mexican cherry bomb in the bathroom and exploded the toilet!" Van yelled at her.

"Holy shit!" I yelled at Brit's smug face.

"So what's the problem?" Brit said back at Van.

"I was sitting on it!" She yelled, with an obviously annoyed face.

"Bullshit! You were leaning on it while writing a mean thing 'bout Stacy on the wall in sharpie!"

"Karma, dude. Karma..." Jeff said, while examining his French fry before tossing it in the air and catching it in his mouth.

"He's gotcha there, Vanessa..." Isaiah said, while stealing one of Jeff's fries.

Van crossed her arms and rolled her eyes in defeat.

"I'm starving!" I complained to Isaiah, who had a full plate of fries, salad and a half-eaten hotdog.

"I'm starvinngggg!" He said, mimicking my voice in a squeaky tone, "Look at your plate, it's full of food! Look, you've got an apple, a half-bag of chips, and a bit of a corn dog!" He said. Brit yanked the plate to her spot at the table and feasted on the chips and corn dog, knocking the apple on to the floor.

"If you don't want it, I'll have it" she said with a mouthful of my food.

"Oh. My. God." Isaiah said while blocking the disgusting view of Britney's mouth with his hand. I laughed along with her and Jeff.

"Here, eat some of my fries." Isaiah offered, while pushing the plate towards me. He flashed an incredibly attractive smile at me, and I smirked back.

"Those are my fries, dude!" Jeff said.

"Ooooooooh!" Britney said, while pointing to me and Isaiah who were happily sharing his fries.

We chatted on about weddings, and whether or not Vanessa would ever get married, which led to totally random conversation topics like whether or not Jeff could eat three hotdogs in less than a minute. Turns out, he actually can. That was pretty much our normal, everyday lunch. In fact, I was having so much fun with these people that I'd completely forgot about my AG. Well, Isaiah mainly helped me forget about it. With his amazingly attractive smile...

~~~

It was last period, Socials. I sat in between Van and Brit, glancing over every few minutes to watch Brit text her boyfriend discretely under her desk.

Van leaned over to me and said, "Okay, how do you do it?"

"What?" I said, confused.

"How do you deal with those stares?" She asked, gesturing to the dozen or so boys that constantly starred at me.

"Yeah um... Why are they starring at me, anyway?" I asked.

"You're kidding? Girl, your the prettiest thing that's came to this dead-beat school since Angelika Stars. And she graduated last year."

"Me? Pretty? I thought I was... Y'know..."

"Girl, don't give me that. Look at you, you're uber-gorgeous, why did you think all the guys stare at you?" She whispered.

"You're not just Charleston hot, you're South Carolina hot." Jeff said, butting into their private conversation.

"Really?" I said. I started to smile uncontrollably.

"The double-takes never lie" Van said in a singsong voice, pointing out all the guys who'd look at me every few minutes and wink or grin. None of them could hold a candle to Isaiah, though.