6) Its A Date

~October~

Tonight is the first night of October, also the night that I'm supposed to go on a sort-of-date with Isaiah. I avoided telling anybody, because with my luck, they'd probably try to tag along and watch us the entire movie. That was until about 4pm, when Britney texted me. My old crappy phone buzzed in my pocket.

A text message from her read "Waaassuuuuup??"

"Hi? Nm why?"

"Do u wanna go 2 the sk8park wid me?"

"Can't I have plans"

"Pfft alright who do I need 2 kill"

"Lol I'm busy I cant"

"Doing?"

I stared at the text, wondering how to respond. Maybe I should just tell her. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

"Going 2 a movie with Isaiah"

I waited about thirty seconds before my phone rang. I didn't have caller ID, so I assumed it was Brit. I answered it and said "Hello?"

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATT?!" Britney yelled.

"It's no big deal Brit, it's just a-"

"DATE!"

"No, it's not a-"

"DATE!"

"Brit stop, it's just a-"

"DATE!"

"Ahh!" I hung up the phone. Seconds later, it rang again.

"It's not a date!!" I yelled.

"What? Hello? This is Vanessa. Is this Ali?" A voice said.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Van. Brit's been calling me and screaming-"

"JUST KIDDING ITS BRITNEY AND YOU'RE GOING ON A DATE!"

I hung up the phone and collapsed on my bed. It wasn't a date! Was it? No, it was just two people going to a movie, nothing date-like about that. I've gone to a movie before with my friends and this time isn't any different. Except its Isaiah. Why was I even making such a big deal about this anyway? So what if it was a date?

I thought I should just assume it certainly wasn't a date, and go with the flow. Nothing could possibly go wrong, I hoped.

~~~

I was all dressed up and ready to go, with ten minutes to spare. I wore black skinny jeans and a black and white polka dot blouse. I had on silver hoop earrings and a silver cross necklace. I spritzed on my favourite perfume, Daisy by Marc Jacobs. All I needed was a bag.

I opened my closet door and was greeted by about thirty different bags and purses. I always considered bags my crazy obsession, because every time I went to the mall, I had to get a bag. I just thought that bags define who you are, and your style. They're also great accessories and super cute if you wear them right.

I chose a black Guess bag with fringe on the side. It was part of their fringe festival collection. I did my studying when it came to bags. I tossed a pack of gum, a pack of mints, my wallet, lipgloss, a mascara and some bronzing powder. You never know when you need a bronze. There was just one more thing... Now, what was I forgetting?

Just then, the doorbell rang. "Alice! It's for you!" My mom called.

Shit! My contacts!

I bolted to the bathroom and put in my coloured contacts, changing my stunning violet eyes to dull, normal brown ones. I rushed to the door and opened it, smiling at Isaiah's cute face.

His dark hair was softly swept to the side, flaring out. He wore blue jeans and a loose, white muscle shirt, showing his strong, toned arms. He had a dark purple beanie on, and his eyes looked sweeter than ever.

"Hey! Woah... You look..." He said, trailing off as his eyes scanned me from my shoes to my eyes, "Beautiful."

My heart skipped a beat and I blushed and looked away. I looked back at him to find him smiling at me, a very attractive smile. "Thank you, you too" I said.

"I know, I'm a beaut" he said, winking. I laughed and we headed out the door, with my bag on my arm. I still couldn't tell if this qualified as a real date or not. He called me beautiful, which felt nice. But it probably didn't mean anything.

We made our way to his dark blue pick up truck, where I sat in the passenger seat and he was beside me, driving. He flipped on the radio and "Jesus Of Suburbia" by Green Day blasted through the truck.

Isaiah started scream-singing horribly and very pitchy, on purpose. I laughed uncontrollably when we stopped at a red light and everybody in the cars beside us stared at him.

"Dearly beloved are you listening?! I cant remember a word that you were saying!!" He yelled, smiling at my embarrassment.

"You're an ass, y'know? Shut up shut up! We're gonna get arrested!" I said, pushing his shoulder. This only made him sing louder and prouder.

"Are we demented, or am I disturbed?! The space that's in between insane and insecure!!"

"Isaiah! Stop!' I said between laughs. "We're gonna get arrested! Please!"

He turned down the music and glanced at me. "No cop would arrest this beautiful face" he said, pointing to his face. I laughed and said "watch the road, we're gonna die!"

We finally made it to the movie theatre, where we went straight for the snack bar. We split the price for a large popcorn and two drinks, he bought a bag of M&Ms to put in the popcorn. I gave him a funny look when he did.

"Trust me," he said "it tastes amazing."

We found seats near the middle on the side. As the movie began, a creepy scene with a family being hung by a tree projected on the screen. As the movie continued about 20 minutes in, a scene where a little boy was hiding in a box, then jumped out backwards. I (along with half the theatre) screamed in terror. I ducked into Isaiah's shoulder by reflex. He swung one arm around my waist, and one arm around my front, forming a hug. About thirty seconds later, the screaming stopped.

"It's okay. The scary parts over." He said, calmly. I looked up at him, embarrassed at my terror. He just flashed a sweet smile and hugged tighter. The whole world seemed to have stopped, and there was nobody else in my world but him, and me. We were just inches away from kissing, when the movie interrupted us.

The scene with the family being hung by a tree came back on, and we both watched in curiosity. He let go of me, and I felt a little sad that the feeling had ended so soon.

A while later, my phone buzzed. Shit. Forgot to turn it off. I pulled it out of my pocket and hit the power button, and went back to focusing on the movie.

Another creepy scene made me jump a little, and Isaiah noticed. He looked over at me for a while.

"What?" I asked him.

"You're cute when you're scared" he said, putting an arm around me again.

"Am not" I defended.

"Are too" he said, smiling another incredibly attractive smile.

~~~

The movie was over, and we were sitting at a table next to the arcade. I turned my phone back on and checked the missed text. It was from Vanessa, it read "Hey you'll never guess what."

After my phone loaded up, it received the other missed texts. My phone buzzed over and over.

"Girl where are u???"

"Ali I need to talk to u!!"

"Plz it's important!!"

"It's about Sam!"

"OMG what are u doin?!?"

"C'mon this is important!"

"Are u with Isaiah?!"

"OMG ur with Isaiah!"

"Fine be like that!!"

Uh-oh.... This wasn't good.