Chapter 6

Phantom, Patches and I drove for some time. I had no idea what time Patches and I left that grocery store, but it was very early in the morning. Now it was sometime in the afternoon, and the sun beat down harshly on us. I decided to look for food, then I would look for a place to stay the night. It didn't take long to come up on some kind of co-op that had oats and hay and other sorts of horse feed. We stopped and I opened the trailer door, Phantom bolted out into the parking lot, prancing and snorting excitedly. I smiled at his youth and energy, something I hadn't seen in a long time from a horse that I called my own. He bucked through the parking lot and ran to the end of it, for a moment I thought he would run away. Yet, alas he turned around and charged back quickly. I gazed at the young stud, then walked to him to check his teeth. He was only about 6 or so years old, yet he was amazingly smart for being so young. He looked incredibly fit, and must have been a very favored horse at his old home. Which was understandable, he was the first white Friesian horse I'd ever seen or even heard of. He must have been very popular for breeding, who knows how many foals he could have sired that didn't take on his unique color, unlike the two I saw at the stables. As I thought this, Patches made his way out of the trailer, and pinned his ears at Phantom, who backed away from me reluctantly. Then the old gelding came close for his own attention from me. I chuckled, not favoring how jealous Patches was, yet I knew he was just asserting his position above the stud. Yet, I thought it was rather odd. Patches was a gelding, which meant he could not be used for breeding, and gelding a stallion usually always calm them down. Though, studs are known for having a bad rep in being rather wild. That was simply a rumor though, studs weren't always so bitter and dangerous. So I wondered that perhaps the reason the white stallion listened to Patches so well must be because of his advanced age. Phantom snorted now and stepped forward for some pats from me, Patches, to my surprise, allowed this.

After I patted them both and they seemed more satisfied with stretching their limbs, I walked towards the building. 'Joe's Livestock Care' read the large sign above me. I sighed, the doors were not automatic this time, and would be easier to handle. I walked around the store for a while, searching for something to block the doors from swinging closed once they were open. I found two large rocks in the parking lot and grabbed them, placing them so the doors would remain open for the curious horses. Patches walked in without a problem, but Phantom snorted and pawed the concrete with his powerful hoof. Sparks flew in all directions from his metal shoes. I laughed at him, and his cautiousness. It was the middle of the day, so he would be fine out in the open by himself. Plus, the most dangerous thing in Georgia was coyotes? A giant stud like Phantom could surely handle himself against a coyote or two. Also black bears, but they don't stur up trouble were it's not needed. He would be fine. I was sure.

Patches and I walked farther into the building, finding all sorts of horse tack and feed, plus things for goats and cows. This place had stuff for more than just live stock though.There were all sorts of T-shirts and clothes for people. As well as dog beds and a few that looked like something Patches could fit on. I didn't take long to find a large 50 lb bag of oats, I ripped it open and had to fight Patches away from it, he stuck his nose in and took a huge bit before I could pull him from it. He must be pretty hungry. I found some dog bowls, but no horse feeding buckets. I grabbed the biggest dog bowl I had and filled it with oats to give to Phantom, and then the same for Patches. Once they finished, I walked into a nearby lot that was empty, the only thing there was ankle-high grass. I sat down in the grass with them as they grazed peacefully near me. It wasn't long until I got too hot under the sun, so I walked towards a small 20-foot pine tree in the middle of the field. I lyed down in the shade and it felt like it was 20 degrees cooler. Patches followed closely to me, but Phantom remained at the same spot, grazing silently. Soon I found myself drifting into sleep, it was cooler now, and the wind sturred quietly, urging me into a soft and easy rest. I realized I really hadn't slept much the night before, I had been too busy weeping. That was my last thought as I gave in eagerly to rest.