Chapter Three

Inspiration!

Happy summer '11 you guys! ugh, but I have to do Honors English homework ALL summer. But hey, I get to read Emma by Jane Austen! =) Meh, it was that or the Iliad.

Here's chapter three finally!

Comment/Vote please! Thanks!

-Makayla Rayne

____________________

Chapter Three

"You'll never guess what!" Daddy came a hootin' through the house one afternoon.

"What Nate? Last time you said that you told us Lizzie was a gettin' married." Mommy looked worried now.

"Oh, this is as good! The cotton crop's a lookin' fine this a time 'round! Gonna be a great harvest at the end of this a year."

Mommy smiled now. "That's wonderful Nate. Delia!"

Delia came a shufflin' through the hall to the parlor. "Yes missus?"

"Any news from Everett?"

"No missus. I'd come straight ta ya or the young missus."

"Okay Delia. You're dismissed."

"Thank ya kindly missus."

Mommy looked at me. "Did your walk with Everett go fine girl?"

"Yes mommy. He told me tha'..."

"That what?" Daddy asked.

"It's personal Daddy alright?"

"Don't you snap at--"

"Nate," Mommy said quickly. "Don't ya think you should be a supervisin'?"

He blinked. "Oh yeah. Your momma jus' saved ya girl. Thank the sweet Lord for that'in."

I relaxed once Daddy left. "Thank ya Mommy."

"Now we both know ya cain't be a snappin' at your Daddy like that Lizzie. It ain't good for ya. Learn to respect the man a the house now."

"Yes Mommy."

"That'd a girl. Now finish you sampler. Don't ya wanna give it to Everett?"

"Missus." Delia came in with a letter. "It be from young Mr. Jackson."

"Thank ya kindly Deely," I said gently, taking the letter with my name scrawled on the front.

"You be welcome young missus Lizzie."

"What'd  ya jus' call 'er Delia?" Mommy snapped.

"Young missus Lizzie missus."

"Good Lord Delia. I'm a fine with ya callin' her that and I'm sure so's Lizzie but don't call 'er that'in fron' a Nate."

"Yes missus. Thank ya kindly for the warnin' missus."

Mommy sighed. " 'Kay then. Open up that letter Lizzie."

"Yes ma'am."

My dearest Eliza,

I was writting this in the hopes that your father was given good news on his crops. My father has too and has asked that your family come celebrate the news with ours. How does tomorrow sound? I''ll thank you kindly to send rejection or approval by the day's end.

Yours lovingly,

Everett Jackson

"Well?" asked Mommy.