Chapter 1- Home Sweet Home

"Cat! Why are you always so quiet? Usually you're singing up in your room," My dad asked flipping the TV channels over and over again as my brother Sam made roaring noises with his dinosaurs.

"Something happened at school and I'm not in he mood to talk about it," I muttered under my breath as he took a large gulp of his beer. I sighed and walked upstairs after asking Sam how his day was at Kindergarten.

"Okay whatever, do you have any homework?" Dad asked fixing his cover and turning up the volume on the small screen that was set in front of his scruffy face.

"Yeah, just some science stuff and an essay for language. I'll be upstairs if you need me. After my work, I'll go to the grocery store." I replied and walked upstairs to my bedroom. I opened the door and threw my backpack across the room and onto the floor.

"Ugh," I frowned in disgust as I face planted on my pillow. I cringed for a couple seconds after deciding what I was going to do today. You see, I have to go to therapy for my depression today too. But my therapist and psychiatrist are planning to send me back to the nuthouse. I was there for a couple of months last year and it wasn't all that bad.

I made a couple friends there that were crazy too. But they seemed like the most sane ones on the planet. Delilah was the first person I met there. She had OCD and she was always having weird hallucinations. I thought she was the sweetest girl I've ever met. Not like those stupid popular girls at my school who are always going to tanning beds and smothering their faces with makeup. I thought they looked like clown posse actually.

As I lay on my hard bed, I bite my lip in thought. I sit up and pick up my backpack and pull out my books and start doing my homework. Until I felt like my hand was about to break, I stopped writing. I rubbed my wrist and stretched it out to relieve the pain.

"Cat! Cat! Look what I made!" Sam yelled running into my room. I smiled and picked him up and sat him on my lap.

"What is it?" I ask looking at the pile of red puddy in his hands. It looked like a mix between a fish and a alien but I didn't say anything.

"I made a statue of Dad," Sam squeled and he smiled real big as he looked at me with big brown eyes. I laughed and held it in my hand.

"That's great Sammy. Go make some more and show them to me," I smiled softly as he jumped out of my arms and ran out the door.

Turning back to my books, I close them and stuff them on my bag. I grabbed my purse, keys, and jacket from my night stand and walked downstairs to the front door. Dad must've heard me because he looked at me startled and confused.

"Where are you going?" Dad asked flipping the remote amongst his hands.

"Therapy and then the grocery store, I won't be back for a while. Make sure Sam takes his medicine and please Dad, make a decent lunch while I'm gone. When I'm back, I'll cook dinner." I explained and walked out the door waving goodbye.

I close and lock the door behind me and walk to my silver Camry.
Buckling my seatbelt, I turn on the radio while some slow song is playing. I Started A Joke by Francine Quinn. I love this song so I crank it singing along. I finally manage to get to my therapy session on time.

I lock the car and walk into the hospital into the psychology section.

"Good afternoon Cat. Are you ready for your session?" The director asked as she grips her clipboard on her chest. I nod and pick my purse up and walk into a small office.

"Hello Ms. Henry. How was your day at school?" Mrs.Garcia asked in her thick Italian accent. I smiled and sat down on her red, leather futon.

"It was completely fine all day. But something bad happened today that is bothering me," I replied. She nodded.

"And what might that be?" She asked taking notes on everything I said. I just remembered what happened.

Earlier at School

"Why is she so creepy?" Someone whispered next to me as they glared at me. I sighed and looked down. People started to laugh behind me and I knew they were talking about me. They always did that.

"Hey Cat! You dropped something!" Someone yelled behind me. I sighed and looked at them.

"What?" I asked staring into their eyes. They smiled mischievously at me.

"Your face." They said as everyone began to laugh at me. I about snapped right there. I stood up, made my way over to them and punched them square in the jaw. Everyone gasped and I did the same thing just realizing what I had done. I was sent straight to the principal's office after that.

Back to the Present

"Why did you punch them?" She asked. I sighed and glared at her.

"They were making fun of me and I couldn't take it anymore. You know that point when you're on the edge and you're just about snap until someone pushes you and all you remember is falling?" I asked trying to prove my point.

"Yeah, I guess. Is that what happened to you?" Mrs.Garcia asked looking me straight into my eyes. I nodded and sulked for a second after smiling softly at her..

"You don't have to fake a smile you know." Ms.Garcia said. I about burst into tears after that. I might have to go back to the mental institution and I wouldn't be able to see my family for who knows how long.

"Do I have to go back?" I asked as she hugged me tightly.

"I'm afraid so," She replied. I wiped my tears away and backed away from her. I nodded and gathered my things.

"I'll leave in the morning before school. I'm gonna have to be home schooled now right?" I asked placing my hand on the door handle. She smiled and nodded. I bit my lip and looked down in agreement. After that I left the hospital and bought some groceries before heading home.

"Cat? Do you have to go back?" Sam asked as I opened the door. I smiled sadly and nodded. He started to feel sad and cried as he grabbed onto my shirt. I hugged him tightly as a few tears escaped my eyes. Dad looked at us and frowned.

Home sweet home to me.