Chapter One - 3rd of June

Castiel Novak had just sat down on the couch and opened his book when the doorbell rang sharply through the house. Sighing and grumbling about people interrupting his relaxing night, he got up and opened the door.

"Hi Cas. Long time no see?"

Standing on the doorstep to the house was Jo, an old friend from his high school days.

"Hey Jo. Yeah, it has been a while. What are you doing here," He said. The last time he'd seen Jo, they'd gotten in a huge fight and she had yelled at him to never speak to her again.

Jo shrugged. "I just wanted to see my old friend. And to apologize for what happened. I never should have yelled at you. You were my friend and I should have supported you."

"Nah, it's okay. Wanna come inside or are you content to stand out here all night?"

Jo laughed and as she passed him on her way in, she playfully punched him in the shoulder. She followed him into the kitchen and sat in the rocking chair there.

"Cas...can I ask you something?"

Cas was busy making tea for her and he nodded.

"I, uh, was wondering. Could I maybe stay with you for a few days?"

Cas laughed. " I knew there was another reason as to why you were here. Yeah, sure. Stay as long as you like. It gets a little lonely here and I wouldn't mind the company."

Jo jumped up and hugged him tightly. "Oh thank you so much Cas!"

Cas just shrugged. "By the way, how come you have this nice house?"

Cas sighed softly. "My mom left it to me after she died. I couldn't even think about giving it up."

Jo looked sadly at her cup of tea. "I'm sorry I wasn't there for you, Cas. Can you ever forgive me?"

Cas looked at her in confusion. "If course I can forgive you Jo. I was kind of an ass back then, so I don't blame you for not being there."

Cas thought back to when they were in high school, to the day when everything seemed to crash

"Jo," Cas said quietly as he walked beside her to their next class. "My mom's sick."

Jo stopped walking and looked at Cas. "What?!"

"She has cancer. Breast cancer, stage four. There's nothing they can do." A tear fell from his eye, snaking its way down his cheek. "And my dad, he's shunned me Jo. My siblings have too. The it's because... It's because I'm gay."

Jo gasped at his words. "But...but...we've been dating for three years. You kiss me and....how!"