Chapter 7: Pallas's Last Words

The old woman instructed him to rinse himself in the Falls of Enlightenment. The old woman said that once someone has managed to finish the lake still sober, he or she has the outmost privilege to meditate at the Falls of Enlightenment. The falls is just ten feet high. One strange thing that is really recognizable is how the water falls down to the river; the water gushes down with no sound, even a splat of water touching Carlo’s body can’t be heard. Also, the water streaming up the falls seems like its been freezing for a certain period of moment in the air. The water looks like an icy crystal moving slowly to the ground. Carlo looked up above the falls and he saw the sun shining directly above the falls, helping the water sparkle. At the middle of the falls lies a small wooden chair. There, Carlo seated, scrubbed every part of his body, and meditated.

After sometime, Carlo began to digest what the old woman had said. The old woman gave some soup to him but he’s too disgusted to eat that time. Carlo has rested for quite a bit.

“You are Pallas aren’t you?”

“Yes.” Pallas closed her eyes, “I feel that you want me to do something for you, obviously.”

"I wish for you to help me recover."

"Why?" Pallas asked blankly.

"Because I can't take this suffering."

"And so?"

"So I need to recover."

"Why?"

Carlo is irritated. He scratched his head, "What do you want me to say!?"

"Think."

Carlo calmed down, "I am afraid to die!"

Pallas looked at his eyes. She pulled the eyelids down and inspect underneath Carlos' eyes. She also pinched his fingernails; Carlo bit his lips. 

"Carlo," Pallas began to speak, almost whispering, "Is breathing so dear for you to wish living? How much are you willing to sacrifice to live?"

"Everything."

"Everything is a great word my son."

“I am very weak!” Carlo cried desperately, “From time to time I cough blood. I’m also very slim because I have frequent loss of appetite. Sometimes a day pass without me realizing that I haven’t eaten. Sometimes I’ll just palpitate and become pale because of fatigue...I’ll die soon. I can feel it. My kidney cancer is on its final stage and I know my expiration will be soon. No kind of doctor can help me, I know, I’ve asked so many. I’m a goner Pallas. I’m a goner.” He paused, “I am scared to die.”

“Why?”

“Because I am not ready.”

“Why?”

“Because I know, I am a very bad person and I am scared to die because I don’t want to suffer eternal suffering. A week or a month’s time is too small to make up every major mistake I have done in my life.”

“Well,” Pallas raised his eyebrows, “You are right. A man must make up for his sins just like how a prisoner spends his life paying for his crimes. But, precisely how are you going to do that? I am sorry to say that you’re not going to live long enough.”

“How do you know? You haven’t tried!” Carlo shouted. Anger blossomed.

“I know.” Pallas tapped his back, “I know my son. Your odyssey...it’s been hard. Life is always like that.”

Carlo sobbed. He shouted. He cried. He knelt, palms covering his face to hide himself to world. He’s hopeless and embarrassed. In his mind he saw the illusions of having a better life...gradually disappearing. All that’s left are the bits of memories of his parents and loved ones. The agony of losing everything even hope is so much for him to bear. He wept, “I’m sorry...I’m sorry...I’m sorry.”