Chapter 11: Children's Meetup

Its Sunday, and the people of Samsara party all night to celebrate the coming of Amia and three other people and the “vanishing” of Kaila Lee and Cornelia McGoat. There’s games, singing competition, bands, and dance. Everyone’s merry and happy. The mayor of the town gave his speech to welcome and commemorate the people who have vanished this month.

“Good morning populace of Samsara. It is an honor for me to serve you for the past three years in maintaining peace and cooperation in our small town. When I was alive, I’ve been trying too hard to enter politics. When I achieved the position I want, greed hypnotized me to not let go of power at any ways possible.”

“One night, while sleeping, I have been shot. I woke up here in Samsara. I’ve been confused what to think: if my family were also shot and what happened to my killer. I want revenge. I want to go back to Earth to see whether my family is still alive even if it means staying eternity in there. When I am on the verge of vanishing to the depths of vengeance, I am glad to meet Ninoy, our previous mayor. He inspired me, made me think things over. He made me realize that staying here gives us a second chance to be what we want to be...for me, its to be happy and merry. When he have finally met Corazon Aquino and vanished to the heavens, he has given me the responsibility to tell you his final legacy: to let everyone of you realize that there is life after death. So today, let’s celebrate to our hearts content that we are given second chance to shape what we desire.”

Everyone clapped their hands and continued the feast. When siesta time begun, all the little children spent time in the river, swimming and playing. The water is running lightly, only enough to feel the waters passing to your skin. Some of the children are playing river boats carved from wood and others are playing tag.

Tris and Amia are walking alongside each other. Their parents and other middle aged people are in the plaza eating and drinking. Tris got a stone and tries to skip it.

“Not bad. You made it skip two times. Not bad at all.” Amia said, grinning too wide with her teeth boldly exposed.

“Its my turn to shine now,” she said while juggling three stones with one hand. She swiftly tossed the stone to the water while the other are in the air. The other two stones also skipped three times, one after the other, instantaneously.

“Whoa!” Tris yelled sarcastically, “Not bad. Not bad at all,” he said as if he’s not impressed.

Amia giggles, “Ha! You might beat me in biking but you’ll never beat me in skipping stones. I am the queen of stone skipping!” She raised her arms again like she’s conquering the world.

“So can you also be my queen?” someone shouted from a mango tree behind; its an Asian boy with a spiky black hair. A laughing African-American kid made a high-five to him in the air. Amia rolled her eyes.

“I am sorry. That’s just how Simon says hello but he’s a good friend you’ll see.” A soft voiced girl with a short ponytail continued, “I am Cyrine by the way. Just call me Sai-sai.” Amia’s face brighten a little bit. At last she saw someone with the same hair color as her.

Someone’s pulling Amia’s dress. She looked at his side and she saw a girl about five years old with a very curly hair. She’s wearing a fuchsia colored dress and she seems to be of Hispanic origin. “Hi I’m Heidi. Me wanna be your friend too!” she said.

Amia grinned too wide again, “Hi Sai-sai. Hi Heidi. I’m Amia Littleheart, nice to meet you.”

Simon climbed down the tree rushing to the group, “You are funny. Do you always make that smile?”

Amia felt awkward.

Tris glared at Simon. He’s irritated.

“What’s up Tris?” A funky black kid rapped.