Why?

Chapter 5 

Instead of waiting to be debriefed on your new position, you decided to follow Byakuya to his office. You walked silently behind him, keeping your eyes focused on the things around you. You watched the bustling of the soul reapers around you. Some stopped and froze when your eyes met theirs; others scoffed and glared in your direction. You ignored the ones who froze and smirked at the ones that glared. It be easier to find sparring partners when others thought you were cocky, or simply disliked you. You followed Byakuya down a long, white, hallway and into a room that had a two desks; a larger one and a smaller one. Looked around the plain office. The white walls gleaming from the sunlight coming through the window on the wall opposite you.

You watched as a pair of birds flew past the window, singing a sweet a cheerful tune as they did so. If only you were a bird. You could have already flown away from this place. You imagined the wind rushing past your feathers and drying your eyes. You would be a powerful hawk with sharp talons to fight any that got in the way of your flight. You imagined yourself flying high into the sky, past the clouds, all the way up to the burning noon-day sun. Then letting yourself nose dive back down to earth. You were brought out of your day dream by the sound of someone clearing their throat.

"Ahem,"

You blinked. You had been staring out the window and didn't even notice that Byakuya had sat down at his desk. You turned to him and met his slate grey eyes, indicating that he had your attention.

"You will be working alongside Renji and I. Your duties will include, but will not be limited to: Filling out paperwork, delivering and retrieving paperwork from other squads, and reading through reports sent from squad six members."

Byakuya paused for a moment and glanced at you. Seeing that you didn't have any questions and didn't seem confused about anything that he'd said, he continued.

"You will sit with Renji and learn how to fill out and review documents. He will also show you which squads we receive documents from and which squads we deliver documents to. Any questions you have should be directed to Renji. Am I clear."

You nodded. "Yes."

"You will address me as Captain Kuchiki."

You paused. "Yes, Captain Kuchiki." Better to be docile than difficult.

Byakuya nodded, before starting his own paperwork. Not knowing what to do, you stood there for a few moments and waited for him to give you an order or tell you where to go. You waited, but no such guidance came from Captain Kuchiki. It was as if he had forgotten you altogether, though you suspected that he was merely ignoring your presence. You looked over to Renji's desk and decided it best to wait for him to return.

Walking over to Renji's desk, you let your eyes wander out the window again, only this time your mind stayed empty. You sat on one of the cushions that were placed behind Renji's desk and waited. You looked down at your hands that were placed on your lap and remembered that you'd burned your fingers. As you examined you hand, you saw that the burned skin had darkened leaving a slanted line across your four fingers. The burn didn't hurt any longer so you simply placed your hands respectively back on your lap. You relaxed as much as you were able; which was not much considering Byakuya was only a few feet away. The more you tried to ignore his presence, the harder it was.

"He has no problem ignoring me, so why can I not do the same?"

You inwardly frowned. Not letting the little frustration you felt show on your face or your actions. You stayed still and closed your eyes. You slowed your breathing and concentrated. Within moments you were calm and were able to almost isolate yourself from everything around you. You breathed out slowly and imagined you were a hawk again. Your strong wings carrying you through the sky, breaking through the clouds. Flying towards the fire of the horizon. You mind suddenly veered to a memory, one that you never wanted to remember ever again.