Chapter 4: First Day

Chapter 4:

2 years later

"Mommy, am I a big girl now?" Grace asked, in her cute voice a big grin on her face. She only uses that voice when she wants something. I hurriedly fixed the collar to her fresh shirt as she got peanut butter and jelly all down the front of her other one.

"What do you want this time Grace, and I've told you time and time again I am your sister." I said for the thousandth time.

"All the other kids at the park have mommies so you must be my mommy!" She said a defiant look on her small face. I couldn't bear to tell her that she doesn't have a mommy, all I could ever say was that her real mommy and daddy were in a better place now.

I sighed, "what is it that you're wanting?"

"Can I sit in the front seat today? I'm going to elementary school and you said that I could sit in the front when I'm a big girl. I must be one by now!" She said trying to plead her case.

"Okay, just because it's your first day." I said, watching delighted as her face lit up so brightly, she had her dad's smile.

"Help me carry your backpack to the car so that I can get your car seat in the front please." I said as we scurried out the door, briefly turning around to lock the door to our house and making my way along the driveway where Grace was bouncing excitedly at the passenger door.

I was able to get the seat and Grace in the car in less than 5 minutes and then we were off. This car, like the house, used to be owned by my parents. Knowing that young foster parents are less likely to take a two year old in with their fifteen year old sister I tried my very best to get the best out of the legal system that I could with what I had. Through technicalities I was able to claim my kind, elderly neighbours as my legal guardians for the year until I turned sixteen so that I was able to keep all of my possessions.

However, I was left with bills, and bills meant a job. I had to step up to the plate and take my responsibilities on the chin. By obtaining a full time job and being a carer at the same time I was unable to attend mainstream school, although I kept up my studies by borrowing books from the local library and keeping in touch with old teachers so that I was up to date with assignments and homework which I could do during my breaks and after putting Grace to bed.

If the rent and the car hadn't been paid off I would have been in a lot more financial bother but I was determined to allow Grace the opportunity to grow up in a nice neighbourhood, where her real parents used to live. The car took up a lot of wages in petrol but selling it was not an option, like my mom's watch, my dad's Roles Royce was his pride and joy. Seeing me on the road, you would never guess that I was a waitress/receptionist at a local restaurant and a 'mommy'.

I parked the car in the closest empty space to the main school doors as I could, going round to the passengers side to help Grace out.

I handed Grace her backpack from the backseat of the car and she replied with a "Thank you mommy" as we started to walk to the doors.

I was told on the phone last week that I should take Grace to the reception where any final details would be sorted and then I would take her to her classroom so that she could go meet her first grade class members whilst I met her teacher.

Once we got to her classroom I wasn't surprised to see a full class of students with a full class of parents to go with them but they sure as heck were surprised to see me. This was quite understandable since I was only seventeen and didn't look a day older than it. Us parents would be taken to a separate room with the first grade teacher whilst the classroom assistant got the children settled into their induction.

We all said our goodbyes. Grace and I got some strange looks as we parted. "Bye mommy, have fun at your first day of senior year!" She exclaimed. Oh, yeah, did I forget to mention that I'm going back to school? With Grace and I having the same school hours I was able to return for my senior year instead of being a carer and today I was going to start my senior year. I phoned the office and they said that it was okay for me to come in during lunch to attend afternoon classes today.

We were all given name tags as our group walked with the teacher to an empty conference room; listening to her blather on about how great the school and staff were and I only really listened when she talked about the program's the school run. It seemed there were a whole host of sporting clubs but not much academic wise.

"So, are there any questions?" The teacher, Ms Duncan, asked. I raised my hand; however she went to another person at the very back. "Yes, you, Carl Owens." She said with a bright smile after squinting to read the scrawl of ink scratches on his name tag which he called handwriting.

"Are you single?" Ms Duncan blushed but nonetheless deemed his question inappropriate. She then faced me with my hand still held high in the air. Clearing her throat she gestured for me to ask my question.

"I was wondering if you held any after school support classes or any after school for those who can't pick up their children in time? And are there any art programs?" I asked in the most polite tone I could convey. From my experience, my actions towards other reflects how they treat me and my baby sister, I want someone who can be trusted to discuss Grace with no hidden agendas.

"Oh, yes! I almost forgot to mention that we run a daycare for children starting at 7:30am (an hour before school starts) and ending at 5:00pm (two hours after school ends). All children are welcome and we provide healthy snacks. At this daycare we do extracurricular activities and discuss any issues children are having with their schoolwork. Also there is an art program at the school, it is expressive arts so not only painting and drawing but music and drama too, there is one day every two weeks dedicated to the arts and over the years we have found that this helps with the development of the children and their academic scores."

Happy with that answer I relaxed back into my seat, finally content that I had chosen the perfect school for my little girl. Soon we were all dismissed and I made my way back to my car. I saw two parents that I recognised from the conference meeting moments ago who were now openly staring at me. I heard a snippet of their conversation as I passed and abruptly stopped "-high school drop out, was she not on that spinoff to sixteen and pregnant, 13 and desperate?" They both cackled at my expense.

"Excuse me?" I said to them. They immediately stopped talking to glare at me.

"What." the one with the name tag reading Tammy Hill said rudely.

"I couldn't help but hear you comment about me with your untrue and disrespectful statements and I would much rather you stop trying to show off to your little friend and act like a grown woman not a little brat." I said curtly. Tammy tsked.

"What? Are you unable to form a proper sentence? You poor thing, it's all too much for your tiny little brain to comprehend." I said as if talking to a child, Tammy scoffed.

"I don't want to waste my breath on a whore like you and frankly I don't think you or your kid should be here. It's not a good example for the kids is it now?" She questioned rhetorically, pouting and batting her lashes as if too lessen the scold she had just given.

"Oh, really? Well, I think you're the bad example. Children should be taught to be nice to one another and friendly, be taught morals but all you seem to want to do is make assumptions and bitch." I said in a calm tone.

"Hah, morals? Like you'd know anything about those." She said again jumping to conclusions. I'd had enough and I just wanted to go to school.

"Look here Tammy. My life is hectic enough as it is without people like you trying to mess with me so it would be much appreciated if you were to just stay out of my way and I'll stay out of yours."

Not waiting for a reply, I walked the rest of the short distance to my car. This is going to be a very long day.