Chapter 18 ~ BeTheChange

Matt Fincham woke up to an empty bed. His comforter was wrinkled and cold beside him, a discarded pillow cast by his knee. A fan's blade whirred in circles somewhere by the left side of his head. Niall was gone. He'd known for a while now, that Niall would leave. He wanted to pretend that he wouldn't. Wanted to pretend that they'd be together forever.

Matt trudged out of bed. He hopped in the shower; he brushed his teeth and ran his tongue over pearly whites. He slicked back his hair, pulled a beanie on over his head, and stuffed his feet into shoes. His blue eyes were thick with tears. He walked down the street. Toward the westernmost Clinique. He found the starbucks. Found the sun and the moon and he was just a star. He could wish himself and will himself but never be there, close enough to the sun.

So he peeked in through the glass and saw them kissing, eclipsing, saw the world fracturing underneath hot fingertips and eager tongues. This was right. This was it.

The sun and the moon, together, forever, beautiful. Cuts and beauty all together and gorgeous.

He walked back to their flat. He took another dose of his medication, propped his feet up, locked his door, and called his mum.

"Mom?"

"S-s-son?"

"Is that you?"

"Yes. Mum it is. It's me. It's Finchy. I'm back."

~....~

"I love you." Niall panted between slick, sweaty sheets.

"I love you too, so much." Zayn said.