Chapter One - Hurting Max

Attached image of Adam Huber, aka Greg Jones (Max's dad)

Max's POV

"And then he said 'I make it my mission.' I mean what? He's supposed to hate me right?"

"Look son he sounds pretty genuine and even if it doesn't work out maybe you'll get a friend, that'd be nice for you."

"Dad he didn't say sorry and he's probably just going to arrange something, I'll turn up and it will all turn out to be a big joke and everyone will be in on it and bully me more."

Dad didn't understand, he just saw me as a lonely boy with no friends, I only had him to be truthful. My mother abandoned us for some Brazilian man leaving my dad to raise me. He hadn't been lucky with love since but he had friends, unlike me. No one knew but no one would care and even if they listened they'd use it as a weapon against me.

"I know that could happen, but max you've really got to start looking at the positives. This Freddie guy said he liked you, he asked you out. You've liked him a long time you even let him bully you so that he'd pay attention to you. Now why would you miss out on this opportunity?"

"I don't know dad, I'm just afraid."

"Of what? If it makes you feel better I'll take you and pick you up even if it's early."

"Thanks dad but it's not that, I've never been on a date and I don't like anything you can do for a date."

Dad was about to say something he had his mouth open and finger up but he was interrupted by a knock at the front door.

"I'll get that." He said leaving me in our living room, I could hear him at the door because our house was reasonably small.

"Hello?" My father asked sounding confused.

"Hi erm Mr Jones." I recognised that voice but why was it here?

"Yes? And you might be?" Oh god my father knew exactly who it was, from parents evenings and stuff.

"Oh erm I'm Freddie King."

"Ah would you like to speak to Max?"

"Actually no I wanted to erm speak to you." Oh god this isn't good, I ran up the stairs to my room and shut the door. Hoping I could just hide here forever.

Freddie's POV

"Actually no I wanted to erm speak to you." I said to Max's dad who was stood in front of me in the doorway to his house.

You could see Max within him only he was a rougher, tougher version and much older and bigger, this man obviously looked after himself. To say I was intimidated by this man was an understatement, but Max is worth it so I'm going to have to suffer this fear I'm feeling.

"You'd like to speak to me would you? If you've come to ask permission to date my son you're too late he's already told me you asked."

Wait he knows, well that takes an awkward edge off things.

"Erm well no I wanted to ask you what I should do to impress Max."

His face softened but then he started laughing. Once he stopped he looked at me sympathetically which was worrying.

"Well you've got a tough task ahead of you kid. My dear son, Max, hates practically everything you could do with him."

What? How can someone not like anything to do for a date?

"So you're telling me he hates everything?"

"No not everything, just everything you could do with him."