Chapter 3 ~ Ms Janet McGregor

You chose A) Revise your assignment and prepare

You reach under the chair in front of yours and grab your carry-on luggage. From the silk-lined fake leather, you pull out your iPad, a company pen and the trusty blue folder that got you through the insanity of university. Opening the document on your iPad, you triple check to see if your planning matches the requirements given to you in the official task documents. It does. Like the last hundred times you checked.

Next, go over your interview questions for both sides, Haitians and Americans.  How were you received into the new country? Is it still hard to fit in? How do you feel about Haitian refugees? Why have there been so many disputes about their rights?

"What's that?" You look up from your work and see that it was the passenger next to you who asked.
"Just some interview questions," you explain shortly.
"For what?" She asks, leaning over to see for herself. You hand her the list of questions to read. She takes them with a smile and starts to read, her finger guiding her through the sentences. After taking longer than you expected, the lady hands back the sheets. "That sounds very interesting," she says.
"Yeah," you reply lamely, packing the paper back into your folder.

The jagged conversation continues and you find out that the lady's name is Janet McGregor. She is engaged to be married in five months time, in October. Good for her.
Janet pauses as if expecting you to announce your relational status. You don't.

A moment passes then you pick up the conversation by asking Janet what she's doing in America. "I'm going to see my parents. I haven't seen them in eight years and I want to tell them about the engagement in person," she responds sweetly.
"That's exciting," you say, only half meaning it.

You excuse your self to use the bathroom and, when you come back, Janet is so engrossed in a film on the small screen in front of her that she doesn't even seem to notice your return. Excellent.

You're not trying to be mean; you're just not a people person. You appreciate the peace and quiet and you decide now to:

A) Sleep
B) Watch a movie
C) Order some food