Chapter 6 ~ Murderer

You chose C) Talk to the old man

Driven solely by your conscience, you make your way over to the other side of the life raft and take a seat a ruler's length away, next to the old man. You don't know what to say. 'I'm sorry for accidentally being instrumental in your daughter's death' just doesn't seem to cut it. To your relief, the old man speaks before you do.
"Tamara." Your relief is replaced with a gut-wrenching guilt. "Her name was Tamara."
The old man stares into the distance, Daniel sound asleep in his lap. Again, you are lost for words.
"It was just like her to refuse to come with me. She always was stubborn," he says, a slight smile on his face."
Is he mad at you? You can't quite grasp this old man's thoughts towards you. Suddenly, tears well in your eyes, threatening to spill over at any moment. "I'm sorry," you manage to whisper. Tears stream down your cheeks and sobs shake you uncontrollably. You feel a hand on your shoulder and look up to see only compassion in the old man's eyes. No hatred, no condemnation. You shake your head and close your eyes.
"I forgive you," he says. This causes you to cry even harder. "I would have done the same."
You feel another hand on your back. It's Cat. You feel the corners of your mouth rise into an appreciative smile which Cat returns.
"Everyone!" David is standing in the middle of the boat, addressing everyone in a loud, commanding yet kind voice. You brush away the tears. "Night is fast approaching and we must make preparations. Would everyone please secure any valuables in this compartment here" - he points to a large box in the centre of the boat - "and return to your seats as possible."
A man stands up from across the boat. "Why should we take orders from you?" He demands indignantly.
You roll your eyes. There's always one. Always one who can't see past themselves and into the realm of reason.
David handles it well. "You don't have to. But I know I am not the only one here who wants to get out of this situation alive." There is no pride in his voice, nor taunt.

All of you, including the one man who objected, get to work. You realise you left your bag - and, in it, your phone, iPad and folder with all of your work documents - on the plane. You know that, given a second chance, you would have made the same decision, but you still regret leaving them.
Within five minutes, the container is filled with...well...not much. A few mints, a phone that no longer works, a few bobby pins and hair ties, a wallet and a passport. Everyone looks expectantly at David. He stands. "We need to figure out a watch rotation, just to be safe. If we get into partners, two hours shifts should work just fine. Could everyone please find a partner?"

Who do you choose?
A) David
B) Cat
C) Luke
D) Marree
E) The old man
F) The other man
G) Melissa