Chapter 2: The Awaken

I slowly open my eyes and see paramedics all around me. I look to my left to see the girl talk to reporters. Suddenly that view was disturbed by many flashing of cameras. I slowly start to regain my hearing back but wish I hadn't because I start to hear everyone's questions. "How did the door trap shut?", "Do you think someone might have booby trapped the door on purpose?", "How did you escape the boat?", "How did you end up on land?" I look around and suddenly I see police all around me.

"Back up, back up," they say. The reporters start to ease on the questions but continue to take pictures. I look at the paramedics and they quickly lift me onto a stretcher. I look at one of the paramedics and ask, "What's wrong with me?" My voice sounds so sore. They replied, "We're just going to get you checked up. I don't know how but. . . you are one lucky person, surviving that storm. How did you do it?" They finally put me in the ambulance and shut the doors. I started to wonder. . . How did I survive that storm?

They finally finished all the check ups. They were all amazed at not finding anything wrong with me besides my sore throat. They told me I had to stay the night just to make sure I was perfectly safe to go the very next day.

The Next Day
I sit in between my Nana and Papa. They didn't seem to be too surprised. I listen to the doctor once more.

"Now, Trina, when you leave this hospital you'll be approached by many reporters. You're a star now."
"I don't want to be a star," I clear my throat afterwards because it tickled to talk.
"Trina, just give it about 3 days before all of this blows over. Okay? Also, make sure you drink a lot of water." I sigh as I get up and leave with my grandparents. As we head home I see less then a dozen reporters on my front lawn. How do they know where I live?
"Trina! Trina!" I see the car being flashed with cameras.
"Great. . . Now what?"

My papa honks the horn.

"Papa, can I just stay at Chris's for awhile? I am on summer break. Plus, none of these reporters know where she lives." He looks at me through the rearview mirror. He nods his head. I call Chris in advance to let her know what's up. I knew Chris's mom, I know she wouldn't mind me staying for a week or so. She's kind of like my second mother. Papa drives across town and drops me off at Chris's. Chris's backyard is practically the beach, she spends most of her free time surfing. I kiss my Papa and Nana goodbye and remind them that I won't be gone for long, just until all of this has blown off.

"Please take care of yourself," Nana told me.

"I will Nana, don't you worry. I'm in good hands, Chris's mom is such a nice lady."

"We know. . . Just make sure to give the beach a chance." I gave my Nana a weird look.

"I will. . . Goodbye!" I say while they drive away. I turn around to find Chris standing at the front door, she runs towards me and literally gives me a bear hug.

"I'm so glad you're okay," she whimpers, almost getting a bit teary. "I'm perfectly fine," I reply to assure her there's nothing wrong with me. "What happened out there?" She finally lets go and we both walk into her house. I start explaining every single detail.

I sit on her bed with her pajamas on. She's sitting in her chair looking at me in amazement.

"So, you just ended up on the beach?"

"Pretty much," I say as I munch on popcorn.

"And you have no clue on how you ended up there?"

"Nope," I say as I pop another one in my mouth.
"Weird. . ." I look at Chris and see that she is still so confused about what happened. I stay quiet for a few minutes and think back to what happened. I break the silence by asking her another question.
"How long before everyone noticed I was still stuck in the boat?"
"Trina, I told you everything."
"Well then, explain again, please." I hesitate but listen carefully.
"When the lifeguard came back with Danny there was a girl who followed behind them. . . I thought she was you. Before we knew it, the boat started going down. I tried to get your attention on the boat but it was soo tiny. The person I thought was you was sitting on the other side and me, on the other. Once the boat hit land, we all got off. I tried looking for you but when I reached for the girl and realized it wasn't you, I started screaming for your name. That's when police got involved. An hour later that's when we found you on the beach 5 minutes away from where the boat sank." She looked down, almost crying. "I thought I lost my best friend Trina."
I get up and walk over to her. "Well you didn't. . . I'm still here and that's pretty much all that matters." All the sudden her mom knocks on the door.
"Hey Trina, how are you feeling?"
"I'm feeling perfectly fine. Thank you so much for letting me stay the night. I promise it won't be for more than a week."
"You stay as long as you need. Alright? I'm just glad both of you are safe."
"Thank you," I say as I walk over to give her a hug.
"What do you girls feel like eating tonight?"
I look at Chris.
"Pizza sounds good, Chris?"
"Yeah, mom, I'd like some pizza."
"Alright. . . I'll call in a few." As she closes the door behind her, I turn my head towards the clock which reads 8:56 p.m. I look at Chris and see her on her phone.
"Oh shoot."
"What is it?" I ask.
"The surf club is having a meeting on Friday. They're asking if I'm going to be there. Now that tomorrow is officially the first day of summer, they want me to make an appearance on Friday."
"Well, what's stoppin-" I stop my sentence to look at her.
"Chris, you're not scared,, are you?"
"What? Me? I mean. . . I practically grew up with the ocean. What would I be afraid of. . .?" She gently lays her phone on her dresser.
"Then let's go to that surf meet on Friday." She glances at me with her deep blue eyes. I knew deep inside she didn't want to go but this tragedy can't stop her from her love of surfing.
"Fine. We'll go."
"Good. Now let's go wait for the pizza downstairs. I'm starving." As we leave the room I hear the doorbell ring. Right on time. My mouth was practically drooling. I can smell the cheesiness already.
"Mom, I think the pizzas here!" Yells Chris. "Oh. I forgot my phone. Give me a second," she says as she turns around heading back to her room.
"I'll get the door. . ." I say. I hear her mom saying she'll be up in a second. I think she's doing laundry in the basement. I head for the door and start to hear a woman humming. A gentle humming. It's a melody I've heard before but I couldn't put my finger on it. I stand still as I try to listen more carefully. The doorbell rings once more. Breaking the silence, scaring me half to death.
"Trina, what are you doing? Open the door, he's waiting." I quickly turn to see Trina texting on her way down the stairs. She looks up. "Well, open." I look around trying to figure out where the humming came from.
"Right. . ." I say. I open the door to see the pizza man holding to boxes of pizza. From my right shoulder I see Chris's mom handing him a $20. She grabs the boxes and says thank you. Once she closes the door we head towards the dining table. Am I the only one who heard that humming?