Part 29

Twenty-Nine

Audra settled Jay on one of the couches in the foyer. He'd found a pair of sunglasses in the helicopter and the mirrored lenses lent an air of mystery to the man as they hid his eyes and his soul from public view. He seemed to straighten from his exhausted slump as he noticed everyone's eyes on him. Well, if Audra didn't have other things to worry about, she'd certainly spare more than a glance at Jay Felix wearing nothing but a pair of board shorts, ripped abdominal muscles guiding the eye downward to a tempting trail of hair leading into those shorts, hinting at the impressive package they concealed. The last of the glowing evening light darkened shadows and gave a rosy glow to the ripples of muscle, making him look even more impressive, while hiding some of the bruising. She felt an overwhelming urge to lick something.

"I need to speak to my supervisor about my schedule, Mr Felix. Maybe – " Audra scanned the foyer and thanked whatever deity favoured her as Hana walked in. " – Hana, could you walk with Mr Felix back to his villa? You don't need to wait for me. I'll see you back at Villa Maxima."

Hana flashed an impish smile and greeted Jay. "Welcome to Romance Island Resort, Mr Felix. Have you come for some snorkelling and diving? Heli-fishing? Once you've met some of the resort sealife, you'll never want to holiday anywhere else again."

Jay's mirrored lenses turned to Hana and Audra breathed a sigh of relief. She hurried out of Reception to the corridor of offices behind it. She prayed her luck would hold and it did – Annette still sat in her office.

Annette greeted her with a smile. "How'd it go? Everything taken care of?" When Audra stared in puzzlement, Annette explained, "Heloise told me one of the VIPs requested maid service on the mainland and sent a helicopter for you." She rubbed her hands together. "Nice work. He'll pay a premium for that. He even requested you by name, Heloise said. We'll have to keep you on in the wet season if the VIPs like you that much. How was your first helicopter flight?"

"Wonderful," Audra admitted. "I only wish it'd been for longer."

"See if you can persuade the guests to charter a helicopter for a day trip with catering. The price includes a member of staff to take care of the catering and you get first preference if you made the guest's booking." Annette winked. "So, is everything taken care of to your guest's satisfaction? I have you rostered for two days off, I think." She scanned the roster sheet and nodded.

Audra swallowed. "About that. The guest was hospitalised and released early on the condition that someone keep him under observation for two days. Forty-eight hours."

"Perfect, then. You'll have no other duties for the next two days, so he's all yours." Annette rose. "Are you coming to dinner now?"

Her job application. Scrubbing toilets for another year while her degree went to waste? Audra felt her whole life slipping through her fingers. "But...my days off..."

"Postpone them. After the two days playing nurse, then you can have your time off." Annette eyed her. "I expect flexibility in my permanent staff, especially those who have to cater to the whims of the VIPs in the Pearls."

Audra's heart sank and she nodded silently. The deadline was four days away – even if her days off were delayed, she'd still get the job application in on time. Next year, she'd be reading rain gauges, not cleaning rosters. All she had to do was last forty-eight hours as a self-proclaimed rock god's babysitter. How hard could it be?