7. My Answer

The past two weeks went by slowly. Waking up everyday felt like a mission. I had finished my first term exams and passed them which was the only highlight of my life at the moment.

My mom had come in my room earlier to talk to me about my final answer to Ahmed's parents.

--
"What have you decided Hayat dear?" Ammi asked. I was sitting on my bed with my mom and a pillow I held onto to my chest.

"Ammi I don't think this is right for me right now. Just think about it. If I get married this early ,it'll put more responsibility on me as I'm going off to college. I-I don't think Ahmed wants it either. We're two different people. We could never get along." I sighed.

" Beta(child) I understand what you're saying but haven't you known Ahmed for a while now? He's a good guy. Sure he's going through some rough patches but I believe you can lead him the right way and that's what his parents want for him. They think you'll make a lovely wife and a daughter-in-law. They have faith in you and so do I. We would always want the best for you Hayat. "

"Ammi, I seriously don't know. I don't want to upset you and Abbu and Ahmed's family. I'm just too young..." I whispered the last part.

"I understand. Whatever you say, your Abbu and I won't be upset about it. We care for you too much beta." She paused and then continued.

"The answer is no then?"

I sighed. "Just give me one more day Ammi. I think I want to talk to Maryum since she is close with Ahmed but my initial answer is a no."

My mom came closer to me and kissed my forehead and hugged me tight. " You know I love you so much right ?"

"Is that even a question? Of course I know." I exclaimed while smiling. She let go of me and I saw sadness in her eyes. But this kind of sadness I never saw from her. It was different. I wanted to ask her what was the matter all of a sudden but she before I could, she said she had to make dinner and she left. I let it go and continued to finish my work.

--
I was still tempted to ask both my parents about this Hussain guy they were talking about who supposedly I could be in danger of. I guess the proposal they were talking about was about Ahmed which I now knew. That reminded me that I had to meet up with Maryum at the café.

I quickly checked my textbooks and paper to see if I had any homework left and got out of bed. I got ready and as I was walking down the stairs, I called my mom out. "Yes Hayat?" She said from the living room.
" I'm walking to that café around the corner. It's only a two minute walk."

She looked at me debating whether to let me go and then replied "..I guess you could. Come back before the sun starts to set. Is it to meet Maryum?"

"Yes Ammi.". She nodded in approval and I started to walk out the door and headed towards the direction of the café.

After a short walk, I entered into the shop and spotted Maryum sitting near the window in the corner.

When she saw me, she smiled and waved. I went to her table and sat down. "Salam ." I said. "Salam to you too." She said cheerfully.

"Someone seems in a good mood." I said with a huge smile.

"Of course I am! One of my best friend's is going to talk about her future marriage life. Duh." She said.

My smile slowly faded.

"Yeah, about that...I really need your advice-". Before I could finish, the server came. I was suprised it was the same Zain guy I met at the mall and who goes to the masjid. "Oh hey, uh I mean salaam! It's Zain right?"