8. Cupcake Fights

What do you do when life throws you a situation you want to escape but can't? You bake cupcakes because food is the solution.

Well actually the cupcakes aren't just for me, sadly.

After I had told my answer to my mom and dad, they were so happy. The happiness on their faces couldn't compare to the uncertainty I was feeling.

My parents immediately arranged dinner at our house with my future in laws the next day. Ammi said I should bake dessert since I made delicious cupcakes. I couldn't turn down making food, obviously for me.

I chose to go with whatever Ammi   told me to do because she was so happy. I couldn't tear her apart and tell her what I felt. If Allah wills, I'll marry Ahmed and is He doesn't will, I won't marry him.

I had placed the cupcakes in the oven when Ammi told me to get ready and look presentable.

I chose to wear a pink  dress with gold and black detail.
I fixed my face with very minimal makeup and I was ready. I didn't know the need for getting this much ready but I wanted mostly to look presentable for myself, not anyone else.

I went down to the living room and just sat there on the couch playing with my phone until the timer rung for the cupcakes so I could put frosting on them.

My mom was in the kitchen making the main course meals. I was about to get up to ask her if she needed any help, then the doorbell rang.

I sighed and became really nervous. The doorbell rang again and Ammi yelled from the kitchen to open the door.
I got up and made my way towards the front door. I opened and I was greeted with smiling faces of Ahmed's parents, I also noticed they brought their daughter with them this time.

Then I saw Ahmed standing in the back with a button up shirt and black jeans. I wasn't going to lie, but he looked pretty good considering I never see him in formal wear.

'Aslamwalaikum,come in', I said cheerfully.
'Walaikumasalam dear, how are you?' Ahmed's mom asked as she hugged me and  they all walked in.
'I'm good' I replied less cheerfully.

Ahmed and I didn't make eye contact and he just followed his parents towards the living room.
He always has his head slightly down whenever he comes here, is he bored or shy? Regardless, I don't care much if he is either one of those things. It shouldn't matter to me.

The cupcake timer has gone off so I  head towards the kitchen after I offer them food and drinks.

As I walk in the kitchen, my mom exits out saying she left the stove on for a couple more minutes and greets Ahmed's family.

I take out the cupcakes and have my frosting stuff ready. I usually put vanilla frosting with some sprinkles but I decided to do both chocolate and vanilla frosting since I didn't know what they preferred.

As I was frosting cupcakes, I got silly and put a smiley face on one of them for Ahmed's sister. As I was making my masterpiece of a cupcake, I heard someone step in the kitchen. It was probably Ammi.
I continued designing the cupcakes and then I heard someone clear their throat.
That was definitely not my mom. I turned around and it was Ahmed.

'Oh. It's you." It came out more mean than I intended it to be.
"Well, I feel welcomed, haha" He gave a fake laugh.

"No,no,no. I thought Ammi came in so yea. Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude."

He gave a small smirk. "Ah yes, you shouldn't be rude to your future husband."

I gave him a look and rolled my eyes at him. I turned around to finish decorating the cupcakes.
Ahmed came by the cupcake platter and just observed how I was decorating. I picked up another cupcake in my hand to start decorating it. The other frosting I wanted was over the other side of the counter. I bent over trying to get it but then I realised, the cupcakes in front of me were now smeared on my top.
I panicked. I should've just  walked the other way around.