6. Are You Joking

Sara had left this morning due to Javed's work back home. Most likley, the next time I see her is when the baby would be born. I was very happy to become an aunt and I coudn't wait to see my niece or nephew.

I was sitting in the car and was anxious to know what Ammi and Abbu were talking about in the room. Why would they even hide something from me? I kind of brushed the thought away and realised we had reached the house. It looked fairly familliar. As soon as I got out of the car Ammi said to me ''Be on your best behavior, okay?'' I slowly nodded. It's not like I do anything anyways and she had never told me that before either.

We all went to the front door and Abbu knocked on the door. A woman opened the door and I realised it was Mrs. Malik, Ahmed's mother. I kinda just froze until my mom nudged my shoulder to greet them. ''Asalamualaikum Aunty '' I said quitely. She gave me a huge smile and motioned all of us to enter.

I looked around my surroudings. I had been here when I was younger ,that's why it looked familiar. Ahmed and I would always used to hang around at his house. I didn't know why I didn't recognize his mom or dad when they had come the other night for dinner.

I was glad that Ahmed wasn't around. Wouldn't want an awkward encounter with him. His dad had come down the stairs and had greeted us. We all sat down and Mrs. Malik began to talk. I tuned them out and was thinking endlessly like I usually do when my parents are talking to other adults.

From the corner of my eye, I saw this little girl running downstairs. She seemed frightened and she quickly engulfed Mrs. Malik. She's probably Ahmed's sister. I hadn't even known he had a sister. ''What's wrong sweetie?'' Mrs. Malik asked. ''Hey Tan! I was just-'' Ahmed came down after and stopped when he saw us. ''..joking'' He finished his sentence. ''What did you do this time Ahmed?'' His dad asked. He nervously laughed which I found oddly nice...

''I might of told her monsters were in my room so she wouldn't come?'' He replied in a question tone. I let out a small laugh and my mom gave me a look. I looked over at Ahmed and he was looking at me and gave a smile. I turned around and was focused on his sister. ''There are no monsters anywhere in this house Tanya. I promise okay?'' Her mom told her. She told her to go up to her room and called Ahmed over, Oh Allah.

''I'm sure your mother and father have told you why you've come here I suppose?'' Mrs. Malik said looking at me and smiling. I looked at my parents and they looked at me as if I knew why. ''Actually, I don't.'' I said slowly.

''Well that's wonderful! Ahmed why don't you tell her. You guys may go out to the patio if you wish." I saw Ahmed roll his eyes. Typical him.

He got up and started walking signaling to me I should follow him. They could've just told me what was going on instead of Ahmed telling me. This better be important news I thought to myself.

We stopped by the patio door with a great distance between us which I was totally fine with.

''You gotta be blind to not know what's going on .'' Ahmed spoke up with no emotion at all. After a moment of silence, he loudly breathed out. ''They're trying to set us up and get married and shit cause apparently it was arranged and -"

Before he could finish , I started abruptly laughing. Me and Ahmed? Ha. That could never happen. We barely talk and don't even get along anymore. He was clearly pulling a stunt on me.

But then I stopped laughing immediately when I saw the seriousness in his face and glint of hurt in his eyes but he quickly covered up. "Wait , you're not joking ?" I asked quietly.

"Why the hell would I joke about something like this Hayat?" He came a bit closer but not too close.

" But.. we don't get along and we dont talk. We are clearly too young for this You were the one who said I should stay away from and never talk to you again..and"