Chapter 17

Jonathan

Throwing my stuff aside, I drop onto my bed. Damn, what a day.
I look at the clock and it reads 11:07pm. Why does it feel like it's two in the morning? I groan and make a mental note on sleeping earlier. I'm not going to get enough sleep tonight. Great.

Ugh man whatever it was worth it. I force myself up and walk over to my desk. I sit down and I open the book that's been waiting for me all day.

I gotta get back to work, no distractions. I watch as my laptop lights up and type in my password. Once I'm in I type Recent Homicide Reports into the search engine. Far into my research I notice that the number of women being murdered has decreased these past few days. Same with disappearances. I open my book and take notes on this. After, I flip around in search of men I've been investigating. I come across David Parks and search him up. His sister filed a missing persons report but I know for sure he didn't get kidnapped or anything of the sort. Parks was recently released from prison after a three year sentence. He's a built man, 6'0 ft with a buzz cut. He beat his girlfriend after he walked in on her cheating on him with her boss. You can already guess what happened to her boss. Parks had also been accounted for countless break ins and robberies. But that wasn't what caught my attention.

While in prison, he was able to get people to do his dirty work for him. I've been able to track down people who work for him, I've written information about them on the back of the page.

David Parks

Age: 34
Height: 6'0
Race: White
*Leader*

John Roman

Age: 27
Height: 5'9
Race: Hispanic
Relationship: Friend

Michael Phillips

Age: 31
Height: 5'4
Race: N/A
Relationship: Friend

Nathaniel Parks

Age: 29
Height: 6'2
Race: White
Relationship: Brother

I know he has more people working for him. These guys have been helping him traffic women and have been selling them as sex slaves. I'm trying to get as much evidence on this as possible and once I have enough information, I'm going to report this to the lieutenant.

I've been breaking so many rules lately. My job is at stake here, I can't be doing any of this. I'm not allowed to interfere with these cases, yet I still go for it. But hey if it wasn't for me, there would still be tons of criminals out there. Because of me they've been able to catch these guys, and they don't even know it. If anything I'm doing them a favor.

******

My alarm goes off at 4:00am. I immediately get up and start getting my equipment ready. I'm out of the house by 4:30am. I drive to an abandoned warehouse that David and his crew spend most of their time at and park my car a fair distance away from it. I grab my bag and jog over to the nearest window. It's pretty high up so I gotta run up the wall and hope for the best. Thankfully, I'm able to get a hold of the edge of it. Pulling myself up, I peek inside. There's boxes filled with who knows what, and a few built in rooms. There's also shelves of food I'm guessing, I don't know. I'm able to open the window, but I don't go inside. Instead I reach into my bag and install a night vision camera.

"Who's there?" A male voice shouts.

Right when I finish installing the camera, the window shuts and I tumble onto stacks of green bags. I bury myself in them slowly, trying not to make so much noise.

The smell of weed starts to suffocate me. Fuck these bags are filled with loads of pot. What don't these guys do?

I continue to wiggle myself to the bottom, but I can't find a hard surface. I stay where I am and try to listen for the man's footsteps.

"What the hell was that?" I hear him say.

"Probably a raccoon or some shit, don't stress over it." A man with a deeper voice replies.

"I don't know man, I'm gonna check." He sounds really young, probably a teenager.

"Yo roll me a joint while you're at it." The other guy says.

I cover my head with one of the bags and shut my eyes. This is it, he's gonna find me. I'm so fucked. I hear his footsteps getting closer. He shoves his hand in the pile and moves it around, almost touching my head.

"Ah fuck this shit, I'm way too tired. It probably is an animal." I hear him laugh. "Ay man I'm going to sleep after this, ight?"

"Haha yeah I'll keep watch don't worry, now give me that. You take forever."

My body relaxes and my breathing goes back to normal. Now all I gotta worry about is the other guy and hope he doesn't come over here.

My foot finds a hard object and I work my way to it. It feels like a handle. I continue to feel around and realize there's a door beneath me, and it's locked.

I can already tell it's going to be a long day.