Chapter 9 - Mud

Niall and I stepped out of the car into the cool ocean air. I loved the boardwalk; there was so much to do. There were the classic old timey places like coffee shops, ice cream parlors, and antique shops. But then there were also hilarious stores full of gag gifts, clothes stores, jewelry stores, and people playing their guitars everywhere. It was fantastic.

                We decided that we would get some lunch first and walk to the park that was nearby to have a little picnic. Luckily, no one recognized Niall when we pushed our way through the crowd surrounding a particularly talented guitarist outside the delicatessen. The sandwiches took a few minutes so we had some time to chat at one of the small rickety tables inside

                “This little town is great.” He said. “I wish I could come to places like this all the time.”

                “It really is. It was my favorite place to go to with my brother. He’s in college now though and he has a job so I don’t get to see him much.” I said with a frown. “We have some good memories here.”

                “That’s too bad.” His eyebrows scrunched up. “When do you get to see him again?”

                “Four weeks.” I stated. “Oh, our food is done! Let’s go.”

                As we exited the deli I noticed a girl around thirteen start to look at Niall a little funny. Uh oh. Niall seemed to notice it too and whispered in my ear.

                “I’m gonna say something in an American accent to try to throw her off. I don’t want to take away from our day together.” I nodded at him. The girl was texting feverishly while still eyeing Niall curiously.

                “Hey, sis, we should head back home. Mom wanted us back to watch Izzy so she could go to the store.” I must admit, I was pretty impressed with his accent. The girl stopped texting and gave Niall one more long look. He seemed to be trying to contort his face discretely to further convince her that he wasn’t Niall from One Direction. It was a success. The girl continued walking the other way with a slightly disappointed look on her face.

                Niall and I laughed as we went on our way to the park. The park was woodsy with a few grass clearings. We chose a flat area and sat down. Only light chatting accompanied the quiet chewing of sandwiches.

                “So what do you want out of life, Niall?” I asked as I crumpled up the wax paper and tucked it in my bag for later disposal.

                He thought for a moment. “A great person to spend the rest of my life with, a few kids, and happiness.”

                I nodded. “That would be nice wouldn’t it?”

                He stared into nothingness as a soft breeze ran through the trees. I didn’t know what was going through his head. I wish I did. I was just about to ask him when we heard something coming through the bushes.

                His head snapped to face me. “What is that?”

                “I dunno.” I said bewildered, I didn’t need another squirrel incident. “Hello? Is someone there?” We were in a pretty secluded part of the park. No one was usually around this area. Especially giggling bushes.... I had a feeling that there were some preteen girls stalking us. They were probably in cahoots with the girl from earlier.

                “Oh my god! It’s really him!!”

                “Who is that? Why is he with her?”