Chapter Four: St. Thomas [UPDATED]

They had been at the hospital for the entire night.

It was the next day around noon when the doctors would even let anyone in Ophelia's room to see her.

She was asleep.

"What's the damage, Doc ?", Clay asked her doctor.

"The injuries from her attack are minimal, 3 broken ribs, 2 bruised ones. She's got a broken wrist. Concussion, as well", he answered, but it looked like he was holding something back.

"If you got something to say about my sister, say it", Jax said before he even realized.

"Well, I looked over her past medical records, and... I-It seems as if her heart condition has worsened. In my professional opinion, it has been a while since she has taken the medication prescribed to her", he said.

"That why she passed out?", Gemma asked, never looking away from Ophelia.

"No. She passed out from exhaustion. Her name is Dr. Ophelia Teller, correct?", he asked.

"Yes", they all answered simultaneously.

"Why?", Jax spoke up.

"Well... It's really just a rumor around the hospital", the doctor said, not looking in anyone's eyes.

"What's the rumor, Doc ?", Clay asked.

"Uh, well, a few people working here, not me, of course, they're concerned about the fact that she's being considered as a replacement for a doctor who just retired", he said, looking scared.

"Why would anyone be concerned about that, she just came back into town yesterday?", Jax asked, confused.

"Well... Her connections, you know ?", he answered, fearfully, looking at Jax's cut.

"She's a good surgeon", Gemma spoke up.

"Like I mentioned before, I'm not one of the concerned...", he said, with fear in his voice.

Then, Ophelia's heart monitor started going crazy.

"You guys need to leave the room", the doctor said, as a bunch of nurses ran in.

Gemma was crying again. No one of them honestly had seen her cry this much in a long time.

...

Ophelia finally opened her eyes. She could see that she was in a hospital room. She tried to move, but she couldn't. Her ribs still hurt really bad.

Then, the door opened.

"Tara Knowles?", Ophelia asked confused.

"Yeah, the other doctor was trying to get rid of your case. I saw it was you", she said, with a sympathetic smile.

"Gemma see you yet?", Ophelia asked her.

"Uh, no. I literally just got the case. Honestly not looking forward to the meeting though", she answered truthfully.

Ophelia never understood Tara's war with her mother. It was pointless. Tara would never win. Ophelia had learned long ago that her one way or another, her mother would always get what she wanted. That's just the way things went. That's just the way Charming went. 

"What about Jax? You looking forward to that?", Ophelia asked her, raising her eyebrows.

"Well, I'm glad to see that you still have that sense of humor, O", Tara said, smiling big.

"Can you do me a favor, Tara ?", she asked her.

"Sure. What is it?", she replied.

"Keep them out. They'll just badger me with questions about the injuries. I can't deal with that", Ophelia admitted.