Chapter One

Trees and houses rushed past, creating one big blur of colors. The windows were down, wind playing with the golden tendrils that had escaped my bun and tickling my cheeks. Ed Sheeran’s “Wayfaring Stranger” filled the air as my fingers tapped the beat on the steering wheel.  My aviators sat on my nose, keeping the sun rays from blinding me. It was a nice day out, perfect for a road trip.

The sign came into view, announcing that I had finally reached Beacon Hills, my new home. I was fresh out of medical school and had been seeking a job the day I graduated. Fortunately, my mom’s friend, Melissa McCall, had offered me a position in the hospital she worked in. They needed another doctor, since one had retired, and a new face was welcome. I would be staying with her and her son until I could afford to pay rent on my own.

The small town was surrounded by woods, a change of scenery from L.A., my hometown. This place was where Mom grew up, and I was eager to know if this place would charm me as much as it did her.

I cruised through the streets, making sure to remember where everything was. There were no huge stores, and I knew that if I needed anything from the mall, I would have to drive to the city, which was about twenty minutes away. Small shops passed by, a few restaurants here and there. A coffee shop caught my eye, and I would make sure to come back.

I finally arrived at the McCall house and killed the engine. I climbed out of my ’67 Impala, striding up to the door. After knocking, the door opened, revealing a tan teenage boy with a confused look on his face.

“Hi. I’m Osiris Furor, Emily’s daughter.” I greeted, stretching my hand out towards him.

He smiled, taking my hand and pumping it twice. “Hi. I’m Scott. Come in.”

I followed him inside, looking around the place. We were standing in the living room, and I began to familiarize myself. A few couches were gathered around a coffee table, the television facing them in the front. It was small, but not tiny, making the area seem comfortable with its neutral colors.

“Mom won’t be home from work until late, so I’ll give you the grand tour, and then you can get settled.” Scott suggested, turning towards me.

I nodded and offered him a smile. “Thanks. I’d appreciate that.”

We moved about the house for a few minutes as he pointed out where everything was. The place had a certain charm, making me feel at ease right away. It was nice after spending four years in a dorm with people my age. The house wasn't the biggest, but I knew I would be happy here. Scott finally pointed out my room, which was right in between his and Melissa’s.

My eyes nearly came out of their sockets, staring at the perfect haven I would call my room. The walls were a brilliant white, nice and simple. To the left was a queen bed, a flowered comforter adorning it with a light gray quilt thrown over the foot. Beside the bed, a door leading to the joint bathroom was open, revealing white walls and pastel towels. The windows were wide open at the far back of the room, leading out to the balcony. A breathtaking view of the trees extended beyond that, the leaves fluttering in the wind. To the right sat a radiator and a desk, with two shelves right above it. A few small boxes were already there, as well as a stack of books on the desk. See-through, white curtains surrounded the windows, dancing with the wind. And to the left corner right beside the door was a small clothes rack, two shelves above it, and a couple of storage boxes bellow it. A mirror leaned beside it and another was beside the French doors that opened to the balcony.

It was so simple, yet so perfect. A big smile was plastered on my face as I moved inside, touching a few things along the way.

“Mom got it ready for you. She went a little overboard, since you’re the first girl she’s ever taken care of. Sorry if it’s not really your style.” Scott scratched his neck.