Chapter 1- Life or Death

Listen to:
Sunday Morning
By Maroon 5

Bree's pov

You don't belong here. The voice echoed in my ear
No one would miss you if you left.
You know you want to leave and live your own life.
The others don't even look up to you anymore.
Just go!

I woke up sweaty and very dizzy. My nightmare felt like it had gone on for hours. I leaned my face against the capsule trying to cool me down. My eyes were heavy and my head hurt.

I need to think about this decision. My conscience reassured me.

I slowly opened the door and tip toed out. To my right Adam is smashed against the class snoring, and to my left Chase is sound asleep. I walked slowly around Leo, who is sleeping on the couch like he always is. Then I quietly super sped up to the kitchen. As I began to open the refrigerator door a warm hand was placed on my shoulder.

I knocked the hand off and turned around, ready to fight. It was a young girl with her hands up protecting her face.

"Bree! Bree, it's me! Emily! Please, don't hurt me!" She exclaimed

"Emily! You scared me half to death!" I took a deep breath and laughed a little.

"Sorry" she smiled "I just wanted to know why your up so late? I heard you run past my dorm room, supper hearing remember?" She pointed to her ears

"Oh," I started, but my mind took over.

Don't tell her Bree. She'll ruin it for the both of us. Don't you dare.

"I, um, just got, um, really thirsty that's all." I spoke to fast

"Oh, well okay! I just wanted to let you know how much you've helped me since I first got here. I mean yeah Adam or Chase could have helped me, but I'm glad it was you." She nudged me on the shoulder.

"Awe thanks! I'm glad you like me, now please go get some sleep." I hugged her and she walked away.

I can't believe that you were about to tell her! Can you imagine what she would do if she found out! That was too close Bree, to close!

I took a deep breath and ran my fingers through my hair. I grabbed a water bottle and walked back to the capsules. I looked at the clock and it was 4 in the morning. I was about to close my door when the walls lit up red and the alarmed sounded, MISSION ALERT, MISSION ALERT.

Leo bounced up from the couch and ran to his tablet. Mr. Davenport ran into the room trying to put his ear piece in. Adam and Chase had awaken and ran to him.

"No time for questions! Get in your mission suits while I figure out what's going on!" He yelled at us. We all ran back in and it changed us into our skin tight suits.

"What's wrong!?" Chase asked

"Seems like there has been an explosion on the west wing of the island. And now it's sinking!" Leo showed us the footage.

"The students!" Adam and I said together

"Hurry go!" Mr. Davenport yelled

I super sped while the boys took the hydro loop. When I got there, there was water rising in one of the main control rooms, it was up to my knee. I tried to run through the water but we were sinking so fast I could only walk. There were no students. Then I realized the lock down drill had shut the training room door which is the only to get out. I could hear the students pounding and shouting behind the sealed door. Adam and Chase had just arrived as the water got to my stomach.

"Adam you have to use your strength to open the door! All the students are trapped and could die!" I yelled

"Wait no! Adam you can't! If you open that door the water in this room will fill into the other room causing them to run out of air!" Chase exclaimed

"We have to help them! They'll die if we don't do anything! We have to at least try! Adam can only open it a little bit and I can squeeze through!" I yelled at him

"Bree" he grabbed my hand "if you go in there, the chances of you making it out..." He looked into my eyes.

"I have to, it's our job to save people." I whispered

Adam had already opened it, just a crack, and the water was rushing into the training room.

"Wait Bree no!! Adam can do it since he can breath under..." Chase was cut off as the island shook and sucked me through the small space. I was in the training room when the door slammed shut. The water was up to my neck as I swam around trying to calm down the students. I immediately had an idea.

"We have to break the window! I need everyone's full strength to break it. It will be hard because of the ocean pressure pushing against it. And when we do break it the ocean is going to rush in, just fight it and get out!" I was choking on water as they pounded at the glass.

I could hear Adam and Chase yelling from behind the door. It took one more crack in the window then it felt like an elephant broke through and crushed us all. The wave hurt and the salt water burned as you opened your eyes. I swam to the top and pulled people through. There was about one foot of air left when I tried to escape, but the ceiling fell and blocked my exit.

"No, no, NO!" I cried as I tried to move the blocks in the water.

"Come on!!!" I screamed

There was about only two more inches of air left. I waited until my last gulp of air and went under.