Chapter Two

When It All Started

***

Six year old Kibum sat at one of the chairs in the police department. His raven hair slightly mussed, his cheeks were tear-streaked as his little mind slowly processed the situation.

His Mommy died...

The one who dress him for the day.

The one who makes his breakfast with sunny smiles and laughter.

The one who pretend to be the monster when they're playing.

The one who carefully tuck him to sleep and read him bedtime stories.

The one who kisses his forehead before sleeping was gone.

Tears started to build up in the back of his eyes when he remember those days; wishing that this was just a nightmare.

"Kibum?" He heard his name being called softly and he looked up to see a woman in her early 30s looking at him with sympathy. A sob escaped his throat when he remembered how the same his name was said when his mother would call him.

"Shhh.. Hey, don't cry..." the woman kneeled at his front and softly wiped the tears that are streaming down his chubby cheeks, his sobs increasing rapidly when the woman pulled him into her embrace.

"Don't worry, I'll be here for you." The woman whispered in his ear, stroking his hair gently while he convulsed into tears, the severity of the situation now sinking on him.

***

The woman introduced herself as Kim YuBin, one of the doctors at Seoul Medical Center and a very close friend of his Mom.

When she heard about the said accident, she quickly went to the police headquarters knowing that Kibum will be there.

She will be the one who will take care of Kibum after knowing that the child's father didn't even bother to come and get him or check his wife's dead body.

Yubin could feel the hatred she had on his friend's husband multiply ten folds. She knew about him cheating over Kibum's mother since the latter always share her problems to her.

Now that no one will be able to help Kibum, she swear on her friend's grave that her son will be in good hands.

***

Kibum directed his gaze outside the car's window and quietly took in the new surroundings. His new Imo was driving them towards the new house he will be staying after she gently explained that he will now be living there together with her family.

Kibum could feel his emotions going haywire. He still can't move on from the fact that his mother died. Feeling the new set of tears that are about to break free, he rubbed his eyes. He need to be strong! How can he be accepted by his new Imo's family if he's a crying mess in front of them?! But still... he can't do this. Not when his mother is not by his side.

Mom...

The car rolled to a stop and Yubin got out of the car and opened the vehicle's door for little Kibum. Kibum found out that only his Imo, her husband and son live in their house together with two maids.

The young boy stared at the big house before him in awe; the garden was filled with different flowers and a small fountain was placed in front of two swings that are moving slightly.

His new Imo opened the big double doors and Kibum marveled at the interior of the house, it feels homey and too big even for three persons-well, four since he'll be living here onwards.