Part 2

My knuckles were even whiter than usual as I gripped the steering wheel. When I first agreed to help Blaine kidnap people for their brains, I'd been desperate. Where else would I find human brains? The morgue?

Now, however, the thought of actually luring people to their deaths made me feel sick. "I'm a disgusting human being," I hissed through my teeth. "Or zombie, I guess," I corrected myself. I had until the weekend to find a new source of brains, or I would just have to find a way to save them from Blaine. Even though he'd probably kill me - permanently - for it.

The thought of dying for good made my eyes burn and before I knew it, I could hardly see through the tears. I was a young woman with her whole life ahead of her. I had a promising career as a surgeon in my future. I was going to save lives.

I found Lowell's house and spent a moment just sitting there after I'd killed the engine, recovering. When I finally looked in the rear view mirror and saw a presentable face staring back at me, I took a deep breath and got out of the car.

Lowell's mom answered the door. She was a very sweet woman who welcomed me with a hug - which was highly unexpected on my part and therefore quite an awkward experience - and told me Lowell was in his room at the end of the hallway.

"Hey, Liv," he greeted. The hug he gave me was a lot less awkward.

His room was just as I expected it to be: the walls covered with posters of bands - some of which I knew and some of which I'd never heard of in my life - and people doing crazy things, like skiing off ramps and jumping out of planes.

He gestured to a chair and I sat down before he took a seat on his bed and picked up his guitar. He lifted a hand to begin strumming, but before his fingers touched the strings, he hesitated. "It's still very rough, so please don't laugh." His eyes were pleading and his delicate lips were pursed with worry.

"Don't be silly," I reassured him. "I'm sure it's great. And if it isn't, well, I'll try not to stick my fingers in my ears."

He laughed and began to strum. I nodded my head in time to the music. I'd planned to support him anyway, but I found myself genuinely liking what I heard. When he started to sing, it was all I could do to not start clapping and cheering like I was at a concert. He slipped up a few times, but the basis of a good song was there.

The music ended abruptly and he looked at me. "So? Could you restrain yourself from sticking your fingers in your ears?"

"That was awesome," I said. "Honestly. If you recorded that song, I'd have it on my iPod."

He looked back down at his guitar. I'd never seen him bashful like this. His daredevil attitude was cool and all, but this was just plain cute. "Like I said, it's not finished yet." He picked up a notebook that was lying next to him and opened it, handing it to me. "This line right here," he said, leaning over and placing a slender fingertip on the page. "What rhymes with 'gold'?"

I frowned, deep in thought. "All I can think of is 'old'."

He laughed. "Me too. Do you see my dilemma?"

"Fold? Sold? Bold?" I laughed. "You're asking the wrong girl. I'm going to be a surgeon, not a poet."

"I'll probably just have to change that line, then." He sighed. "It's a pity."

I nodded in agreement. "I like that line. 'Everything you touch turns to living gold'," I read.

"Do you want to come rock climbing with us this weekend?" Lowell asked suddenly. "The place where we're going is two hours away, but we'll camp there on Friday night so we can spend the whole of Saturday climbing. It will be fun."

"I don't think I have any climbing gear..." I began, feeling a little sick again. I was finding it difficult to meet his gaze.

"I have an extra set. My sister won't mind letting you use hers."

"In that case..." I took a deep breath. If I managed to find an alternative source of brains, it would still be a good idea if I were there to protect them from whatever accident Blaine would have me orchestrate. "Oh, what the hell. I've just never been rock climbing before, so I hope you won't mind me lagging behind."

"Not at all," he said. "I'd be glad to show you the ropes." When he realised what he'd said, he shrugged, looking impressed. "Pun not intended."

I laughed and slapped him lightly on the knee. "You are terrible."

I ended up spending a far longer time at Lowell's house than I'd intended. it was only when his mom asked me whether I wanted to stay for dinner that I realised how late it was getting. I refused politely and said goodbye to Lowell. "See you at school tomorrow?"

"Sure," I said, hugged him goodbye and left.

That night, as I lay in bed, I thought about my afternoon with Lowell. I'd enjoyed it far more than I expected to. I would have even been looking forward to a weekend with him, Carson, Ren, Holly and Eliza, if it hadn't been for Blaine forcing me to stage some kind of freak accident that would kill them all and conveniently leave their bodies irrecoverable. Or at least so mutilated that it would be difficult to tell that their brains were missing.

That was the thought that made me throw back my covers and pull on a pair of jeans and trainers. The brains to be found at the graveyard weren't fresh, but it was better than being blackmailed into becoming a killer.