Guidance - Chapter Two.

Still Emily’s POV. 

“Because, Alex, this is really shitty behaviour! Just give me an answer, do you want to be with me or not?” I shouted across the living room.

“You think I like doing this? You think I’m doing this on purpose?” she yelled back.

“Well, I’m starting to think that maybe you do! If you really cared you’d sort your shit out and get your head straight!”

“Get my head straight?! Get my head straight?! If I could get my goddamn head STRAIGHT, then I wouldn’t be in this mess!”

“Very funny, Alex! You’re so funny that I think I’m going to laugh my way right out of this apartment,” I grabbed my jacket off the side of the sofa and stormed right past her, slamming the door as I left. So much for the great talk we were going to have.

With my head spinning, I realised three things as the fresh air hit my face. One, it was very late. Two, I had forgotten my keys. Three, I was being a crazy bitch. I decided to carry on walking for a while before I turned back to grovel to Alex to let me back in again.

I walked for about half a mile, to a small park Alex and I used to go to all the time last year because it was next to our old flat. I looked at the gates and found a huge padlock around a pretty hefty chain. I lifted the lock and felt how heavy it was, and thought to myself that they’d have to do better than that. If there was one thing that Alex had taught me, it was that locks are for sissies.

I hopped on top of the bin next to the gate and rested my foot against one of the bars on the large fence. It was pretty dry out, for once in England it hadn’t been raining, so I wasn’t worried about slipping, and I hoisted myself over the spikes and slid down the other side landing with all the grace of a drunken wombat. I picked myself up of the ground and dusted my clothes off.

Walking around the small lake in the centre of the park, I made our way to the bench we usually sat on. Still stiff from landing flat on my ass, I lowered myself onto the seat and winced at the pain before settling down.

“Emily?” I heard a voice say. Spinning round, I saw the last person I wanted to see at that moment.

“Kat,” I said, “what the hell are you doing here?”

“I could ask you the same question,” she said.

“I just decided to go for a walk.”

“At midnight?” she asked, raising her eyebrows at me.

“Yeah, at midnight.”

“Well then, I was out for a walk too. Can I sit down?”

I stared at her like a petulant child for a moment before I shifted my legs to the side to indicate that she could sit down next to me.

“So, how’s Alex doing? You know, I haven’t seen her since I was last at the hospital,” she said.

“She’s okay, I guess. She had a fair few stitches and she was knocked around a little bit.”

We sat in silence for a little while before Kat spoke again.

“You know, Emily, I have a small confession to make.”

“What’s that?” I asked, somewhat puzzled.

“I sort of followed you here. I wanted to talk to you about Alex,” she said.

“You followed me here? What about Alex?” It seemed like lately the more questions I get answered, the more confused I get.

“I just wanted to let you know that I’m planning on being around a lot more, and I know that you don’t like me. I really hope that we can get one, because if we don’t then it’s just going to make things really awkward,” she said, resting her hand on my arm.