Restart: Chapter 2

PLEASE FORGIVE SOME GRAMMATICAL ERRORS

twitter.com/TheSemicolon_

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It's past midgnight.

Even if he lay comfortably under his covers, his mind refuses to slumber.

Earlier's events kept replaying in his mind.

He knew he would have a goodnight sleep because of how well he played during the game. He regretted meeting her, seeing her, talking to her. If she had not returned, if she had not join them for dinner, he wouldn't have such a heavy heart. He would be asleep by now and would not dread later's festivities.

He would see him later. He would see him how many times a week since they workout in the same gym. Their careers were the same so more often than not, Kiefer would see him on the opposite end of the court.

Kiefer pulled himself upwards and opted to fix himself a drink. He was thinking of grabbing a warm glass of milk but circumstances deserves to be paired with alcohol. He grabbed a shot glass, a bottle of vodka and a can of sprite. In no time at all, he was already on his 3rd shot.

.....

"Yes."

He was hoping she'd say it differently. He was hoping she would the stutter the minute that one word left her mouth. Instead, she said it with conviction and content; As if she had made her decision and her decision is final. sadly the verdict was enough to break his recovered heart. Her eyes lit up when she replied. He didn't think he'd see the day where her eyes would twinkle for another man. Never in his lifetime was he prepared for something like this: see her love someone else.

......

"Kiefer?" Kiefer turns around to see who called his name

"nandiyan ka pa anak?" another voice joins in.

"nasa dinning table lang ako" Kiefer replies as he watch his parents descend from the steps

"gusto mo samahan ka namin? Bong says in attempt to comfort his son

"dad ba't ka iinom?? Gabi na. Kiefer, tigilan mo yan" Mozzy says to her husband and son

"sige na ma, ngayon lang. tingnan mo naman anak mo oh" Mozzy points out

Mozzy lets out a sigh and agrees. She pulled a seat next to her son; Bong sat as well, leaving Kiefer in the middle. Just when Bong was about to reach out for the bottle of vodka and a shot glass, Mozzy was first to grab hold of it and quickly did one shot.

"grabe ma, ikaw pala tong excited uminom" Bong teases as he tries to lighten the mood.

"oh ba't bigla gusto mo uminom?" Kiefer asks

"eh paano? Na-sstress ako kasi na ganito ka. Pahingi nga ng isa pa" Mozzy replies and takes another shot.

"pahingi naman ng isa ma. Kahit isa lang" Bong pleads to his wife

"oh bakit ka iinom?" Mozzy asks

"eh stress mag-ina ko eh. Pahingi na" Bong grabs the drink and takes two shots

"grabe pa! sabi mo isa lang" Mozzy says and grabs the glass from her husband

The couple start laughing since they started to feel lightheaded. They turn to face their son again and noticed he was not buying it.

"Ma. Ano gagawin ko?" Kiefer says as his lips quivered. His eyes were starting to swell. Within seconds, it was filled with tears.

Mozzy and Bong simply sat in silence. Bong gave his son a rub in the back while Mozzy grabbed her son's hand and squeezed it. As a mom she yearned for her son. His pain extended to hers. What's worse it that she felt somewhat responsible. She knew their break up was messy and sadly it greatly affected her relationship with Mika. Not a day passes by that she doesn't regret the time she said negative things about her; although she tried to justify it as simply as a mom defending her own cub. Mika never retaliated. She was polite, respectful, and showed nothing but kindness. She felt guilty that she allowed her son to act the way that he is. And now the universe has the clever way of backfiring.

"ang tanga tanga ko. Ang tanga tanga ko" Kiefer uttered

Mozzy wrapped her arms around his son and couldn't help but shed a tear.

"anak. I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry" Mozzy whispered to her son.

"tangina bakit ko pa kasi pinakawalan?" Kiefer says in frustration as he took the glass from his hand and smashes it to the floor.

While the couple continued to nurse their son's woes, Thirdy and Dani stood by the steps of the staircase watching the scene.

"we have to do something" Dani whispered as she wiped the tears off her eyes. She looked at her brother and watched him battle with himself as he tries to suppress his sadness.

.......

"So...uhm Mika? Who's the lucky guy?" Mozzy says as tries to hid her disappointment

"he's on his way here na po. You'll meet him" Mika replies

"huh? Nandito? So taga-dito siya sa Philippines?" Thirdy asks in surprised.

Kiefer's eyes widened. He could not believe that in a matter of minutes, he was about to meet her fiancée walk through those doors.

"hey bro ano ginagawa mo dito?" Thirdy suddenly calls out as he sees a familiar face heading towards them.

Kiefer stiffened. His heart beating faster than before.

HIM?

It can't be him.

Mika stood up from her seat and greeted him

"Tita Mozzy, Tito Bong, Thirdy, Dani...."

"...and Kiefer.."

"this is my fiancée"

She has just confirmed it. His worst fear.

He felt weak to his knees. He didn't think it was possible since he was already seated. He felt numb. He grabbed his hand to shake it but he felt too numb to even notice he had already let go.

"cr lang ako" Kiefer stands from his seat and extends his hand to give Mika a handshake

"congrats to the happy couple" he tells them before sprinting to his car. He reaches the parking lot and gets inside; the car is suddenly filled by his agonizing screams.

........

He was preparing himself. He had a rough night and decided to let his frustrations in today's workout. His earphones were plugged and were listening to his Spotify playlist. He was on the treadmill running in a speed of 8kmh. He had to prepare himself now. He had a lot of questions for him. How could he not tell him about...

"Hey Man! You're pretty early" Kiefer removes his earphones and pauses the treadmill. Kiefer comes closer to him. He may be taller but that doesn't intimidate Kiefer one bit.

"care to tell me how all this happened...

...Josh?"

------------------------

yes. this is not only a Miefer fic, but a JoshKa fic as well. can things get anymore complicated?