Sticks and Stones

It’s no secret that being a student athlete, especially when it means playing for a school that participates in the UAAP or also known as the glamour league, definitely has its perks. For example, this trip to Iloilo. It’s highly observed that the alumni association of La Salle and Ateneo are quite generous. This trip would not have been possible without their contributions. By far, this has been my favorite perk. Like any other millennial kid, travelling is the dream. travelling keeps me sane. Imagine being constricted to the walls of the blue eagle gym for how many months.

But for some reason…

I’d have to admit I’m excited to fly back to manila.

In our previous trips, I remember being depressed every time it was our last day.

But today’s different.

As soon as I felt a ray of light pierce through the curtain, I did not hesitate to get off my bed. I grabbed the clothes I prepared the night before and rushed to the bathroom to take a shower. In a matter of minutes, I was all dressed up and ready to leave.

“Idol, 7am palang. Mamayang hapon pa tayo aalis” Kris says

“pagbigyan mo na kapatid ko, sobrang atat na umuwi. Someone’s waiting for him” Thirdy adds as he threw one of his pillows at me.

“bawal maging prompt? Hindi niyo ba alam na nasa mentality ng mga Pilipino ang pagiging late? I just want to make a statement and break that stereotype” I answer casually

“nag-jojoke lang naman tapos ang dami mo ng sinabi” Kris says while letting out  a chuckle

“sarap siguro na may naghihintay sayo” Thirdy says seriously

“hugot ba thirds?” I teased

Eventually I joined in the laughter.

About a moment later, I took out my phone and started typing a message

To: Mika

I’ll be back in manila after lunch. See you soon weirdo!

.

.

.

.

.

Mika’s POV

So what should have been a lunch date, turned into a merienda date. What should have been a merienda date, turned into a dinner date. What was finally going to be a dinner date, ended up being cancelled. His flight got delayed 2 or 3 times. He apologized over the phone but then I knew it wasn’t something he had any control over. I feel bad how late I realized that. So maybe I sounded a bit pissed and whiny and melodramatic over the phone when I told him to simply cancel today’s date. There’s so many things running in my mind that its been difficult to control all these emotions.

What we’re doing confuses me in a way that I don’t have a definite answer every time I’m asked what’s going on between me and him.

Friends?

Friends does not completely justify to what’s actually happening

Dating?

Is that even something that needs to be agreed upon by both parties?

So besides my fickle mind, I also have to deal with a lot of criticism. I can’t actually call them criticisms when their arguments are downright stupid. Safe to say they’re more haters than they are critics.

Their comments are all over twitter and Instagram. It’s easy to say I’m not affected when in truth I really am.

Knowing how terribly hungry I am, I decided to get my butt off my bed and grab a quick dinner. I walked to Agno and opted to eat at starbucks. After I made my made my order, I went to the side and waited for my drink and sandwich. I was startled by the sudden hand that landed on my back.